Courtesy of Google Analytics, here are the top 12 Blue Virginia blog posts, in terms of visits, for 2012. The major themes: the “war on women,” the UVA fiasco (great work Helen Dragas!), the NRA, Republican voter fraud, Republican extremism and racism. Enjoy!
1. Albo Says Wife Spurned Sex After Hearing GOP’s Transvaginal Ultrasound Plan: Ben Tribbett flags this clip from the Virginia General Assembly floor of Del. Dave Albo (R-Fairfax). Del. Albo took to the House floor to describe how his wife spurned his advances after seeing a story about the Virginia GOP’s efforts to mandate transvaginal ultrasounds.
2. Photos: Symbolic Lynching of “Nobama” at Bull Run Park This Weekend: As you can see, what the photos depict is a chair – apparently a reference to the bizarre, rambling Clint Eastwood “dialogue” with “President Obama” in an empty chair at the Republican Convention a few weeks ago – strung up in a tree by a rope. The chair features, ever-so-creatively, a sign that says “Nobama.” Get it? No Obama=”Nobama.’ Hahaha.
3. LG Bill Bolling: Dems Should Apologize for Speaking Up for Women’s Rights, Against Excessive Force: Just remember this story if Bolling tries to run for governor as a “moderate,” “independent,” or whatever in 2013.
4. Image: Republicans then. Republicans now.: This one’s actually just a comment, an image of Republicans “then” (Abe Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, Ike) and “now” (crazy Michele Bachmann, John BONEr, and teahadist nut Sarah Palin). ‘Nuff said.
5. Can UVA Rector Helen Dragas Survive? Could the UVA Mess Help Allen and Cuccinelli?: Paul Goldman writes, “In the long term, the firing of University of Virignia President Teresa Sullivan will be seen as a seminal event in the growing debate over the future of education in the Commonwealth. Helen Dragas, the rector of UVA, and Ms. Sullivan, the ousted UVA President, apparently represent opposing schools of thought on the future of higher education and how to fund it.”
6. Why Was UVA President Teresa Sullivan Fired? The For-Profit “Education” Theory: An interesting hypothesis by UVA Alum Anne-Marie Angelo.
7. Sen. McEachin Calls for Virginia Investigation into Voter Registration Forms Trashing Case: Republicans really love to “project,” psychologically speaking, as they themselves do the things they accuse Democrats of wanting to do. Paging Dr. Freud! Paging Dr. Freud!
8. Hilarious: VA Right-Wingnut Sen. Ryan McDougle Gets a Taste of His Own (Transvaginal) Medicine!: Ryan McDougle (R-Mechanicsville) gets a well-deserved earful over his support for trans-vaginal ultrasound legislation.
9. Virginia Women’s “Strike Force” Condemns Speaker Howell for “Demeaning Rhetoric” Towards Women: Virginia Speaker Bill Howell (R, of course) proves that there’s no limit to his – and his party’s – condescension, arrogance, and misogyny.
10. Virginia Election Results 2012: Live Blog: Good riddance to Willard “Mitt” Romney and of course to our old friend George “Felix Macacawitz” Allen. The only bummer of Election Day 2012 was that Republican gerrymandering in the House of Representatives managed to keep John BONEr as Speaker, for the time being anyway, despite being outvoted by 1.2 million nationwide. Ah, Democracy…Republican style.
11. Serious problems in one really cool map: Serious problems for Republicans, that is.
12. Who Funds the NRA?: Elaine in Roanoke explains that “The NRA is nothing more than a front for corporate money spent to enlarge markets and profits, no different than the bogus Smokers Rights Groups that were created secretly by major tobacco companies Philip Morris and R.J. Reynolds.”