Last night, I attended a fundraiser for Don Shaw, who’s running against far-right-wing extremist/bigot, Del. “Sideshow Bob” Marshall (R) in the 13th House of Delegates district (Prince William County, Manassas Park City). Keep in mind that the 13th district is an “Obama/Kaine district,” where both Barack Obama and Tim Kaine won by 11 points in 2012. However, this is also a district with a big Democratic “dropoff” in non-presidential years. Thus, Mark Herring beat Mark Obenshain by just 2 points in the district in 2013, while Mark Warner actually lost the district to Ed Gillespie by four points in 2014. So, bottom line, this district SHOULD be a Democratic district, but ONLY if Democrats turn out in large numbers. That makes “GOTV” the key in every election here, as it will in 2 1/2 weeks.
Fortunately, the Don Shaw campaign is well aware of all this, and is working hard – knocking doors, making phone calls, etc. – to remind Democrats that there’s an election on November 3. If you can help out with GOTV for this race, please do so (you can click here to get started on volunteering). Need some motivation? Here are just a few reminders of the horror show known as “Sideshow Bob”Marshall, and why this disgrace to Virginia needs to go:
- Video: “Sideshow Bob” Says Board of Health Can Only Spend Money on Abortion Regs He Likes
- Video: Bob Marshall Rants Against Women’s Health Clinics
- On Call with E.W. Jackson, KY Clerk Casey Davis, “Sideshow Bob” Rants about “Sodomy Marriage”
- “Sideshow Bob” Marshall Completely Unhinged Over Demise of His Anti-Gay Hate Amendment,
- Video: “Sideshow Bob” Elaborates On His Vicious Homophobia (That’s right, according to “Sideshow Bob,” it’s all about “blood transfusions,” “sodomy,” and being “worried about this guy whose got eyes on me.” Can we say “he’s got issues?” Uh huh.)
- Does Bob Marshall Agree w/ Rev. Ellison that Haitian Earthquake Was God’s Punishment for Voodoo?;
- Virginia lawmaker: Children with disabilities are God’s punishment to women who previously had abortions.
- Chief Sponsor of Virginia ‘Personhood’ Bill Calls The Affordable Care Act ‘Rape’;
- Robert Marshall, Virginia Delegate, Pushes Bill To Study Whether State Should Have Alternative Currency
Moving beyond the social issues, Shaw also pointed out Marshall’s “abysmal attendance record” in the House of Delegates — he’s missed 723 votes in four years, plus 52% of his committee meetings just in 2015: “he is not representing those of us when he DOES take a position, and when he doesn’t take a position he doesn’t represent us because he’s not there, and we deserve to have the same representation in the 13th as…everywhere else in the Commonwealth where their delegates and their senators care enough to actually show up to work and to represent them…we deserve better.” So again, if you can help Don Shaw in this election, please click here to get started on volunteering. Thanks, go Don, and hopefully on November 3, we can all celebrate “Sideshow Bob”‘s much-overdue retirement from the House of Delegates!