PPP has new polling numbers out (see here and here), indicating that Virginian support progressive and pro-environment policies just about across the board. Here are the highlights from increasingly “blue” Virginia.
- Hillary Clinton leads Donald Trump 42%-39%, but as PPP points out, if “Clinton could get even half of those Sanders fans who are currently holding out right now to vote for her, her lead would expand from 3 points to 9.”
- “88% of voters support background checks on all gun purchases, compared to only 8% who oppose them”
- “86% of voters support barring those on the Terrorist Watch list from buying guns, to only 7% who are opposed to taking that step”
- “55% of voters support banning assault weapons to only 33% opposed to such a ban.”
- “Terry McAuliffe’s executive order restoring felon voting rights is proving to be very popular– 65% of voters support it to only 26% who are opposed. “
- “57% of voters are in a favor of [non-partisan redistricting] to only 9% who are opposed.”
- “43% of voters in the state support [the Affordable Care Act] to 39% who are opposed. “
- “52% of Virginians think the vacancy on the Supreme Court should be filled this year, to only 41% who think it should be left empty for the next President”
- “73% of voters support increasing the minimum wage to at least $10 an hour, compared to only 15% who think it’s fine where it is right now, and 10% who think the minimum wage should be eliminated altogether. “
- “Virginians support the EPA’s Clean Power Plan 63/31.”
Yet more evidence that I’ve found in a gazillion polls on a wide range of topics over the years: by and large, progressive and environmental values are majority American values. Of course, that will come as a shock to the “both sides,” “false equivalence” corporate media, and to certain politicians who subscribe to “both sides-ism.” But to the rest of us, it’s exactly as we would have expected.