The following statement is from Matt Weinstein — Arlington Young Democrat, legislative aide to Del. Rip Sullivan and candidate for the 8th CD Democratic Committee. The election will be at the August ACDC meeting at 7 pm on August 3rd at the NRECA building in Ballston (4301 Wilson Blvd, Arlington, VA 22203). I’ve endorsed Matt because I think he has the energy, talent and experience to do a great job on voter protection and in general as a member of the 8th CD Democratic Committee. Go Matt!
Arlingtonians are fortunate to live in one the most forward-thinking, progressive congressional districts in the United States.
Virginia’s 8th Congressional District (CD) votes overwhelmingly for the Democratic nominee every presidential year, and it repeatedly sends Democrats to the U.S. House of Representatives. Congressman Don Beyer has given voice to the progressive values that embody our community.
The 8th CD is a Democratic stronghold because of the Arlington County Democratic Committee (ACDC) and Virginia’s 8th CD Democratic Committee.
The 8th CD Democratic Committee—which includes 33 leaders from across the 8th district—provides political and fundraising support for Democrats throughout the 8th CD. The committee’s success makes it a model for congressional committees across Virginia.
One seat on the 8th CD Democratic Committee recently became available, and because of the committee’s seat allocation rules, the seat is reserved for an Arlington male.
I am running for the 8th CD Democratic Committee vacancy, and I am writing today to ask for your vote.
The election will be held at the August ACDC meeting at 7 pm on August 3rd at the NRECA building in Ballston (4301 Wilson Blvd, Arlington, VA 22203). Any registered Arlington voter can vote in the election, but voters are required to sign a form saying that they will support Democrats.
I am the best candidate for the job because I have extensive experience working at the local, state, and federal level in Virginia, and I have devoted much of my career to protecting the right to vote for Virginians across the Commonwealth.
The right to vote is the cornerstone of American Democracy. As someone with significant experience protecting the right to vote, I would use my position on the 8th CD Democratic Committee to develop best practices for voter protection programs across the 8th district.
In 2012, I was fortunate to be part of the Obama Campaign’s voter protection team. Our team recruited 1,928 lawyers to volunteer on Election Day in Virginia, covered 1,055 polling locations, and resolved 3,283 voting issues at the polls. I continued the Obama voter protection model for the McAuliffe campaign in 2013, when we had over 500 lawyers protecting voters at polls across Virginia.
Every eligible voter in the 8th district should be able to vote regardless of race, religion, or party, and I will work hard to make that happen.
- I am an Arlington Young Democrat, an attorney, and a political operative.
- I am Delegate Rip Sullivan’s Legislative Aide.
- I am currently ACDC’s Sergeant at Arms, and I am responsible for organizing caucuses and working with Arlington’s election board and registrar to make sure it is easy for voters to vote in Arlington.
- I ran the 2016 Arlington School Board Caucus.
- I was the parliamentarian for the 2016 8th CD Democratic Convention.
- I worked for Senator Warner from 2009 to 2012.
- I worked for the Obama Campaign in Virginia in 2012 as part of their voter protection team.
- I ran the voter protection program for the McAuliffe Campaign in 2013.
- I am the founding co-chair of the DPVA’s voter protection council in 2014.
My extensive local, state, and federal experience has allowed me to develop good relationships with some of the hardest-working Democrats in Arlington, the 8th CD, and across the Commonwealth.
Because of these relationships, I have been fortunate to receive broad, committed support for my candidacy from many Democratic leaders in the 8th CD.
A partial list of my supporters is provided below. Please note these endorsements were made in a personal capacity, and do not reflect a collective endorsement by any political organization.
- Senator Barbara Favola (D-31)
- Senator Adam Ebbin (D-30)
- Delegate Rip Sullivan (D-48)
- Delegate Patrick Hope (D-47)
- Carla de la Pava, Arlington County Treasurer
- Dave Leichtman, DPVA Vice Chair-Technology and Communications, 8th CD Member
- Frank Leone, DNC Member
- Josh Katcher, Voter Registration Chair, ACDC
- Cragg Hines, ACDC Parliamentarian/National Delegate for Hillary Clinton
- Lowell Feld, Blue Virginia
- Laura Saul Edwards, Precinct Ops Vice Chair
- Ian Redman, Precinct Ops Vice Chair, ACDC
- Matt de Ferranti, Area Chair MetroEast, ACDC
- Jill Caiazzo, Area Chair Central, ACDC
- William Mark Habeeb, Area Chair River, ACDC
- Kim Phillip, Director of Administration for ACDC
- Chris Leyen, Aide to Senator Adam Ebbin
- Zach Bowman, Outreach Vice Chair-LGBT, ACDC
- Jarrod Nagurka, former Campaign Manager for Rip Sullivan and Christian Dorsey, ACDC Precinct Captain
Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to speaking with you soon and hopefully seeing you at the election on August 3rd.