On any given day, if you want some serious insanity, you can always count on social media to deliver. Today, one of the craziest things I came across on the “intertubes” is by Fairfax County School Board member Elizabeth Schultz (R), best known recently for her frenzied crusade against protections for transgender students in the Fairfax County Public School system. But if you follow her Twitter feed, you’ll quickly find that her extremism goes far beyond LGBT-related issues.
For instance, a recent tweet by Schultz urged people to “Seriously, watch this NOW.” I was curious, so I clicked on the video. Big mistake! Seriously, the video is almost beyond belief as to how bad – laughably so, if this kind of thing could be laughed at and not taken deadly seriously – it is. It gets even worse when you do a bit of Googling on the guy behind it, far-right-wing radio host Dennis Prager.
But first, here are a few “highlights” from the video Schultz so strongly recommends.
- Prager argues that after-school clubs for LGBT, African-American or Latino kids “cultivate narcissism” and should all be abolished and banned.
- He declares, “We will end all self-esteem programs”
- He further asserts that schools should “no longer honor race or ethnicity.”
- And check out this tirade against…science, reason and modernity, pretty much: “I am reorienting the school toward academics and away from politics and propaganda. No more time will be devoted to racism, sexism, Islamophobia, homophobia, global warming, tobacco or gender identity. No more classes will be devoted to condom wearing and teaching you to regard sexual relations as no more than a health issue.”
Yes, among other things this lunatic actually lumped in global warming (a scientific fact) and tobacco (an important crop in American history, among other things) as constituting “politics and propaganda.” You can’t make this crap up.
So who is this wacko Dennis Prager, the person who Fairfax County School Board member Elizabeth Schultz believes everyone needs to watch “NOW?” A few minutes of Googling tells the story:
- Dennis Prager’s “Global Warming File”: In short, the guy’s an extreme climate science denier, actually believes that more CO2 in the atmosphere is a GOOD thing (“The Planet is Greening”), that “Indoctrination on Global Warming Baked into K-12 Curriculum,” that “Global Warming Not Out of Ordinary,” etc, etc.
- Prager’s a rabid anti-gay bigot: A few sample quotes include “The indiscriminate sex that characterizes much of male homosexual life represents the antithesis of Judaism’s goal of elevating human life from the animal-like to the Godlike”; “While the typical lesbian has had fewer than ten “lovers,” the typical male homosexual in America has had over 500″; “Even if the majority of men became incapable of making love to women, it would still not be normal. Men are designed to make love to women, and vice versa. The eye provides an appropriate analogy: If the majority of the population became blind, blindness would still be abnormal. The eye was designed to see.”; “The Enemy of Women: Yet another reason for Judaism’s opposition to homosexuality is homosexuality’s negative effect on women”; “Judaism cannot make peace with homosexuality because homosexuality denies many of Judaism’s most fundamental principles. It denies life, it denies God’s expressed desire that men and women cohabit, and it denies the root structure that Judaism wishes for all mankind, the family.”
- He’s a huge fan of tobacco and smoking: “I warned 20 years ago that the war against tobacco was morally misguided”; “I have smoked cigars and a pipe since I was a teenager; my father, 93 years old, has smoked cigars nearly every day for about 70 years, and my sons and I have some of our most wonderful father-son talks over cigars.”
- He’s a big Trump supporter, of course: Check out Dennis Prager: Voting For Trump Is Like Dropping The Atomic Bomb On Japan — In A Good Way! and Dennis Prager Will Support Trump Over Clinton Because Sometimes ‘Mature People’ Have To Support A Stalin To Defeat A Hitler” for starters.
- He’s just plain nuts: Check out Dennis Prager Blames California Drought On ‘Worship Of Nature’, Dennis Prager: ‘The Left Doesn’t Hate Evil, The Left Hates Carbon Emissions’, Prager: African Americans to Blame for Racial Discord, etc, etc.
I mean, I could go on all day with this, but by now I’m confident that you get the idea – and also feel like you need to take a long, hot shower. As for the relevance to Virginia, again it’s that this extremist nutter is being strongly recommended by a member of the Fairfax County School Board, Republican Elizabeth Schultz. That should be truly disturbing to every Fairfax County parent (or non-parent, for that matter). The question is, how the heck did someone like Schultz – the LAST person you’d ever want dealing with the education of children! – get on the Fairfax County School Board in the first place, and when the hell are Democrats going to run a strong challenger against her?