by Democrats for George (note by Lowell: I encourage other Democrats running for the vacant Fairfax County School Board seat to also submit statements for Blue Virginia)
June 3, 2017
Statement for Blue Virginia in support of George Becerra for the Fairfax County School Board Special Election for the At-Large-Member seat. Submitted by Democrats for George.
George Becerra is a life-long Democrat who is running for the non-partisan At-Large seat on the Fairfax County School Board. His activism and involvement over a decade have led him to seek election. The group Democrats for George feels that he is the ideal candidate for school board, but because he is a federal employee, he cannot seek or accept endorsements. We hope that the Fairfax County Democratic Committee members will endorse George Becerra for this seat – a process that has been successful previously for federal employees running for school board.
George, a 44-year-old Peruvian-American and father of two, is a 33-year resident of Fairfax County. Unlike the other candidates running for this seat, George is the longest serving and most involved Democrat at the state and local level. He is an active stakeholder and community representative with extensive community, county, and media contacts. He is a frequent public speaker and liaison between and among elected officials and constituent subgroups. He has been involved at local, county, and state levels in the areas of education/public schools, public safety, economic equality and equity, civil and human rights, and land use. This includes:
- Fairfax County and FCPS Joint Taskforce on Successful Children and Youth Policy Team (SCYPT). Member, 2012 to present.
- Superintendent’s Community Selection Panel. Member (2013 and 2017).
- Superintendent’s School Budget Task Force. Appointed member (FY 2017 and FY 2018). (representing At-Large School Board Member Ilryong Moon)
- Fairfax County Council of PTAs. Executive Board Member, 2010-2012; Minority Student Achievement Representative, 2010-2012.
- Parent Teacher Associations—five schools. Active Member, 2007-present. Robinson SS and Lake Braddock SS—the two largest in the state, Bonnie Brae ES, Kings Park/Kings Glen ES, and Eagle View ES (including PTA committees, boosters, and minority parent groups)
- School Board’s Minority Student Achievement Oversight Committee. Member, 2009-present. Chair, 2012-2014.
- Washington Post Panel on the State of Public Education in Fairfax County. One of five chosen panelists. September 2013.
The Fairfax County Democratic Committee will vote on the endorsement on Friday, June 23, at 7:00 p.m. at the Fairfax County Government Center.
Prepared by Democrats for George. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.