I just got high-quality video (see below) of Sen. Tim Kaine’s superb speech at Saturday night’s Blue Commonwealth Dinner. Here are a few highlights from the speech (bolding added by me for emphasis). Go Kaine!
- “For the fathers in the room, in your mind’s eye, can you put a picture of your kids? Not everybody has great relationships with their dad, so put a picture of your mother or your grandparents or people who when you were young and needed to learn from an adult, they were the people who raised you, who taught you, who loved you, who cared for you. Put that picture in your mind’s eye. Because we have a president right now who is tearing apart families who are coming to seek refuge in this country. On the night before Father’s Day, that’s what this nation has come to with this president. Will you do everything you can to fight back against a president who wants to tear families apart?”
- “Is there any doubt that if these children had light skin and were speaking English, that they wouldn’t be loaded into cells and rooms and a windowless Walmart in the hundreds and the thousands on the southern border of this country?”
- “The Virginia Democrats who’ve had a difficult time in the past when I started, we’ve now 10 statewide races in a row. We’ve now won four of the last five governorships. We’ve now won electoral votes the last three times. Last November, we gave the nation a hope injection in a difficult time, in the aftermath of that shocking and controversial election in 2016, in the aftermath of the brutal white supremacist rally in Charlottesville in August of 2017. We, all of us, we stood together in Virginia. We stood up for equality and progress and elected these great statewide candidates that you’ve heard from and 15 new members of the House of Delegates who were as diverse as Virginia is. You did that. The nation thanks you for doing that.”
- “In 2018 we have the same opportunity before us. We can be at our best and win House seats, with our four great incumbents, with our seven great challengers, six of whom are women. We can move forward to make sure that Virginia keeps on the path of progress, innovation and equality. And if we do our best in Virginia, we can be part of a great movement that will take the House back, that will win the Senate and that we can stop playing defense in Washington and go on offense for progressive values in tune with us and in tune with our country.”
- “I am confident that my positive vision of Virginia that works for all will carry the day. And it’s a clear contrast with my opponent. I’m not going to say the name of my opponent in this speech, because in a few minutes I’m going to introduce a good Cory, and I don’t want anybody to be confused. My opponent in this race says his goal is to run the most ruthless and vicious campaign that Virginia has ever seen. Is that what Virginia needs? Is that what the Senate needs? My opponent wants to slash Medicaid and take health insurance away from tens of millions of people by repealing the Affordable Care Act. Is that what Virginia needs? Is that what the Senate needs? My opponent says he will only support judges who want to overturn Roe vs. Wade. Is that what Virginia needs? Is that what the Senate needs? My opponent wants to eliminate the Department of Education and he has a track record of underfunding public schools. Is that what Virginia needs? Is that what the Senate needs? My opponent calls climate change a hoax. Is that what Virginia needs? Is that what the Senate needs? My opponent is fine with tax cuts for corporations but has a record of raising taxes repeatedly on regular people and families. Is that what Virginia needs? Is that what the Senate needs? My opponent has been at the helm of a county government and under his leadership they’ve had record foreclosures, saw the highest unemployment rate in 20 years and his divisiveness has made businesses avoid the county, hurting jobs and opportunity for the great citizens of Prince William County. Is that what Virginia needs? Is that what the Senate needs? My opponent has demonized and bashed immigrants throughout his career, instead of recognizing the hard work and values that new Americans bring to our diverse and growing state. Is that what Virginia needs? Is that what the Senate needs? My opponent was so wacky that President Trump’s campaign fired him as their campaign manager and the Koch brothers – even the Koch brothers – refused to support him. Is that what Virginia needs? Is that what the Senate needs? And of course my opponent likes to praise and encourage white supremacists, those who organize hate-filled rallies like the tragedy in Charlottesville and perpetrate online filth and anti-Semitism. This week, the American press was filled with stories about his bizarre connections to spreaders of hate. And Israeli newspapers were filled with articles about his ties to notorious anti-Semites. Is this who Virginia is in 2018? Is this what the Senate needs? We are a Commonwealth and that means we are a community we believe in equality. We are a state for lovers, not a state for haters. And I ask for your help to return to the Senate, so that these true Virginia values can continue to take this state forward and help lead the nation to better days.”
- “So let’s press ahead. Let’s do all we can to win big up and down the ballot in November. We need to send a clear message about who Virginia is and who Virginia isn’t. And with your help we’ll send that message. I’ll return to the Senate, we’ll elect these great House candidates, we will take back Democratic control of the House and take back Democratic control of the Senate. Are you ready to do that Virginia in 2018?”