Click for weather forecast
Thu Dec 13, 2012 at 06:57:14 AM EST
Here are a few Virginia (and national) news headlines, political and otherwise, for Thursday, December 13.
NBC/WSJ poll: Public wants compromise to avoid fiscal cliff (Also note: "The GOP's favorable/unfavorable rating in the poll now stands at 30 percent/45 percent (minus-15 points), which is down from 36 percent/43 percent (minus-7) right before the election.")
* Homosexuality at Patrick Henry College? Never! New blog says otherwise, college not pleased ("...the president and founder of the school, Michael Farris, sent a threatening note to the bloggers, saying he would sue if they didn't stop the unauthorized use of the college's name.")
* At federal agencies, decline in morale, ebbing commitment (Wait, you mean if your pay was frozen and you got used a political punching bag every day, your morale wouldn't be super high? Heh.)
* Kaine committee assignments include Armed Services
* Va. poll: McDonnell gets lofty marks, Cuccinelli-McAuliffe race a toss-up (Some of these numbers look reasonable, but the McDonnell numbers are WILDLY higher than any I've ever seen before from a poll. Of course, this IS a Republican "internal," and we know how those did for the Romney and Allen campaigns - horribly!)
* The U.Va. board's lasting legacy ("With its announcement this week, SACS has said that avoidance isn't an adequate response to such grievous governance failures. It shouldn't be. Not for the accreditation board, and not for an institution like U.Va.")
* Rep. Moran's son pleads guilty to assaulting girlfriend (First, telling a "volunteer" how to commit voter fraud; now, bashing his girlfriend's head into a metal garbage can. Yet Rep. Moran says he's a "good kid," when he's clearly neither a "kid" - he's like 24 years old - or "good" in any way. Blech.)
* Six of country's 10 richest counties in D.C. area
* Va. Democrat pushing plastic bag tax (This would be a no brainer if it weren't for a bunch of Republican legislators with no brains.)
* McDonnell wants to boost pay to prosecutors, fund vacant judgeships
* Editorial: The public is put on notice ("Del. Head will try to limit the public's ability to easily track upcoming government decisions.")
* Va. offshore wind development gets U.S. DOE assist (Good news!)
* From Norfolk to D.C. and back again - on an Amtrak train
* Dulles Airport seen as potential engine for revenue
* Toddler's tragic death in Herndon, in overheated car, continues as political issue in Russia four years later (Equating a private tragedy with government repression, torture, and murder is utterly despicable. Vladimir Putin has gone completely off the rails into despotism territory.)
* Robert Griffin III: A breathtaking artist who makes fans hold their breath
lowkell :: Virginia News Headlines: Thursday Morning
FOLLOW BLUE VIRGINIA on SOCIAL MEDIA
The purpose of Blue Virginia is to cover Virginia politics from a progressive and Democratic perspective. This is a group blog and a community blog. We invite everyone to comment here, but please be aware that profanity, personal attacks, bigotry, insults, rudeness, frequent unsupported or off-point statements, "trolling" (NOTE: that includes outright lies, whether about climate science, or what other people said, or whatever), and "troll ratings abuse" (e.g., "troll" rating someone simply because you disagree with their argument) are not permitted and, if continued, will lead to banning. For more on trolling, see the
Daily Kos FAQs. Also note that diaries may be deleted if they do not contain at least 2 solid paragraphs of original text; if not, please use the comments section of a relevant diary. For more on writing diaries, click here. Thanks, and enjoy!
P.S. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and you can
. If you'd like to subscribe to Miles Grant's Twitter feed, subscribe to Lowell's Twitter feed here . For Teacherken, click here . For Kindler, click here .
P.P.S. To see the Blue Virginia archive,
please click here. To see the Raising Kaine archive, please click here. To see the Blue Commonwealth archive, please click here.
Subscribe to Blue Virginia - Front Page