Click for weather forecast
Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 06:48:15 AM EST
Here are a few Virginia (and national) news headlines, political and otherwise, for Friday, January 4.
Va.'s phony concern for health hits women's rights (Actually, it's T-Bob's and Kookinelli's phony concern, not all of Virginia's...)
* Good Riddance to Rottenest Congress in History (What did the American people expect when they put the insane, extremist Tea Partiers in charge of the House? I mean, DUH!)
* The clowns of Capitol Hill
* Boehner returns as speaker by three votes
* What's missing from the cliff debate: Growth (I'd argue that there's a lot more missing, starting with an agreed-upon vision of where we want our country to go. Also, there was no serious talk about tax reform, which is badly needed, or the concept of taxing greenhouse gas emissions, even as global warming is BY FAR the #1 threat to humanity. What a cluster@#$@#).
* Battles of the Budget ("The centrist fantasy of a Grand Bargain on the budget never had a chance. Even if some kind of bargain had supposedly been reached, key players would soon have reneged on the deal - probably the next time a Republican occupied the White House.')
* Kaine sworn in as Virginia's new U.S. senator
* Kaine: "There's so much work to be done"
* As foes mount for Dragas, friends emerge, too (Once again, Mark Warner baffles me; why on earth would he go to bat for Dragas, after she's done so much damage to UVA, and given her utter incompetence, tone-deafness, etc?)
* Va. gun sales surged to new record in 2012 (Brilliant, huh?)
* Goodlatte again introduces balanced budget amendments (Stupid.)
* Governor McDonnell unveils education package
* McDonnell declares 2013 "The Year of the Teacher" (And by that he really means "The Year of SCREWING OVER the Teacher")
* Sen. Warner Petition to Reform Filibuster Rule
* On Filibuster Reform, Advocates Claim Momentum
* Delegate brings back Tebow bill for another four downs (We need to deny Rob Bell a first down on this one.)
* Portsmouth is riskiest to kids in region for lead poisoning (Not good, especially when you consider Crime Is at its Lowest Level in 50 Years. A Simple Molecule May Be the Reason Why.)
* Eastern Shore Del. Lewis open to Va. Senate bid
* Chastised Dulles Rail board cuts back dramatically on travel
* EPA ruling to regulate Fairfax creek overturned (The judge is a George W. Bush appointee, and Ken Kookinelli fought for this ruling. 'Nuff said, except that the Fairfax County Board's Democrats made a big mistake here, both on the merits and also on the politics. #FAIL all around.)
* Norfolk center requires vetting
* Loudoun Board to Eugene Delgaudio: 'No committees for you. Two years.'
* Editorial: Prepare for the worst weather ("It's only a matter of time until a major hurricane hits Hampton Roads, and Virginia isn't ready for evacuees.")
* Tysons may be booming, but Tysons Forest is closer to staying unpaved
lowkell :: Virginia News Headlines: Friday Morning
FOLLOW BLUE VIRGINIA on SOCIAL MEDIA
The purpose of Blue Virginia is to cover Virginia politics from a progressive and Democratic perspective. This is a group blog and a community blog. We invite everyone to comment here, but please be aware that profanity, personal attacks, bigotry, insults, rudeness, frequent unsupported or off-point statements, "trolling" (NOTE: that includes outright lies, whether about climate science, or what other people said, or whatever), and "troll ratings abuse" (e.g., "troll" rating someone simply because you disagree with their argument) are not permitted and, if continued, will lead to banning. For more on trolling, see the
Daily Kos FAQs. Also note that diaries may be deleted if they do not contain at least 2 solid paragraphs of original text; if not, please use the comments section of a relevant diary. For more on writing diaries, click here. Thanks, and enjoy!
P.S. You can contact us at email@example.com and you can
. If you'd like to subscribe to Miles Grant's Twitter feed, subscribe to Lowell's Twitter feed here . For Teacherken, click here . For Kindler, click here .
P.P.S. To see the Blue Virginia archive,
please click here. To see the Raising Kaine archive, please click here. To see the Blue Commonwealth archive, please click here.
Subscribe to Blue Virginia - Front Page