The newly formed Virginia Coalition for Immigrant Rights (VACIR) is a coalition of organizations working to advocate for comprehensive immigration reform at the federal level. This Saturday it is inviting local leaders and organizations from the Central Virginia area, including Harrisonburg, Charlottesville and Richmond, to a regional meeting in Charlottesville.
At the organizational meeting a range of immigrant advocacy issues of importance to Virginia’s immigrant communities will be discussed:
- Comprehensive Immigration Reform on the Federal Level
- Access to Driver’s Licenses
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and In-State Tuition
- ICE Detainers and Local Immigrant Detention Policy
- Other issues of concern
Advanced registration is required. To attend the event held from 1:30 PM to 4:00 PM at the Church of the Incarnation Parish Activity Center, 1465 Incarnation Dr, Charlottesville, VA 22901, REGISTER HERE.
The Steering Committee of the Virginia Coalition for Immigrant Rights (VACIR) includes the following organizations:
- Legal Aid Justice Center;
- Virginia Interfaith Center for Public Policy;
- Virginia Coalition of Latino Organizations;
- Coalition of Asian Pacific Americans of Virginia;
- Virginia New Majority;
- League of United Latin American Citizens;
- American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia;
- Commonwealth Institute for Fiscal Policy;
- Shirlington Employment and Education Center;
- National Korean American Service & Education Consortium.
VACIR is organizing advocates and activities throughout Virginia as it works towards its goals. A flyer for the event is available here.