Interesting info from VPAP, showing “how population changes in the last decade have pushed current congressional and state legislative districts above or below the ideal population. Slow-growth areas (purple) will lose representation, while fast-growing areas (brown) stand to gain.”
- First, the U.S. House: Population GAINS in VA10 (blue), VA01 (red), VA07 (purple), VA11 (solid blue), VA08 (really solid blue); roughly FLAT in VA04 (solid blue); DOWN SHARPLY in VA09 (bright red); DOWN in VA05 (red), VA02 (purple), VA03 (really solid blue), VA06 (bright red)
- Next, the Virginia State Senate: Massive growth in SD13 (Loudoun County, Prince William County), represented by Sen. John Bell (D). Also big growth in SD33 (Loudoun County, Fairfax County, represented by Sen. Jennifer Boysko (D); SD29 (Prince William County, Manassas, Manassas Park), represented by Sen. Jeremy McPike (D); SD28 (Stafford County, Prince William County, King George County, Spotsylvania County, Westmoreland County), represented by Sen. Richard Stuart (R).
- Big losses in SD38 (a bunch of counties in far SWVA), represented by Sen. Travis Hackworth (R); SD15 (a bunch of counties in Southside VA), represented by Sen. Frank Ruff (R); SD40 (a bunch of counties in far SWVA), represented by Sen. Todd Pillion (R), SD20 (a bunch of counties in Southside, Southwestern VA), represented by Sen. Bill Stanley (R); SD6 (Norfolk, Accomack County, Northampton County, Mathews County, Virginia Beach), represented by Sen. Lynwood Lewis (D).
- Finally, the Virginia House of Delegates: As Del. Danica Roem explains – “Loudoun and western Prince William County — HD13: we’re 5th — make up four of the top five most overpopulated House of Delegates districts in Virginia. Suffice it to say we’ve got another district or two coming our way in outer NOVA.”
- Big population losers among House of Delegates districts include: HD75 (a bunch of jurisdictions in Southside) represented by Del. Roslyn Tyler (D); HD3 (Tazell County, Buchanan County, Bland County, Russell County), represented by Del. Will Morefield (R); HD1 (Wise County, Scott County, Lee County, Norton), represented by Del. Terry Kilgore (R); HD79 (Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Norfolk), represented by Del. Steve Heretick (D); HD4 (Washington County, Russell County, Dickenson County, Wise County), represented by Del. Will Wampler; HD60 (Halifax County, Prince Edward County, Charlotte County, Campbell County), represented by Del. James Edmunds (R).