Home 2023 Elections Democrat Bob Shippee – a Champion for Climate, Clean Energy, Democracy, Public...

Democrat Bob Shippee – a Champion for Climate, Clean Energy, Democracy, Public Schools, Women’s Reproductive Rights, etc. – Enters Race in Newly Drawn, Henrico-Based, “Tossup” HD57


From the Bob Shippee for VA House of Delegates campaign. FYI, the 57th House of Delegates district is mostly in Henrico County (89.2%), with the remainder in Goochland County (10.8%), and is purplish district where Ed Gillespie narrowly defeated Ralph Northam (50.1%-48.8%) in 2017, where Tim Kaine crushed Corey Stewart (54.5%-43.1%) in 2018, and where Glenn Youngkin narrowly defeated Terry McAuliffe (51.2%-48.3%) in 2021. So it’s definitely competitive (especially given that Henrico County has been trending blue) and worth fighting for!

Democrat Bob Shippee has entered the race for the House of Delegates, in the newly-drawn 57th district, comprising western Henrico and eastern Goochland. 

Bob is the son of a Methodist minister and public school music teacher, and has lived in the district for 26 years. Together with his wife Martha, Bob raised five children who attended Henrico public schools.

Bob spent 28 years in financial services and, for decades, he has also served as Treasurer for community organizations including the Wellesley neighborhood. Bob’s watchful eye on people’s dollars have earned him a reputation for prudent fiscal stewardship throughout his community.

Bob also helped Virginia pass smart, clean energy and conservation policy. As a leader in the Sierra Club, Bob has helped members of the General Assembly on both sides of the aisle pass laws that protect our air and water, and make key investments in creating 21st century, clean energy jobs.

Bob is running to ensure the Commonwealth realizes the full economic and health benefits from a timely transition to clean energy and transportation. Bob’s vision for the 57th and the Commonwealth will create tens of thousands of jobs and lower costs as our economy moves away from increasingly-expensive gas and oil.

Bob is a steadfast champion for voting rights and protecting our Democracy. For four years, Bob served as Vice Chair of the Henrico Electoral Board. As Delegate, he will protect voting rights and fight attempts to interfere with fair and free elections.

Other key priorities include keeping the government out of women’s reproductive health decisions, improving gun safety, and supporting public education, including higher teacher pay.

Bob raised an impressive $50K in the first 50 days of his campaign. With no incumbent and an estimated 51/49 R/D split, Bob aims to win this toss-up race to represent the people of the 57th.


Sign up for the Blue Virginia weekly newsletter

Previous articleVA02 GOP(Q) Nominee Jen Kiggans Campaigns with Conspiracy Theorist, Climate Science Denier, Anti-LGBTQ Bigot, Anti-Roe, Koch-Funded US Sen. Marsha Blackburn, Who Backed Trump’s Coup Attempt and Even Nominated Him for the Nobel Prize!
Next articlePresident Biden, Virginia’s Congressional Dems Celebrate Passage of “job-creating, cost-cutting, national-security-strengthening” CHIPS and Science Act