VA House Dems Leader Don Scott, speaking on the House of Delegates floor today, had some important words for his Republican colleagues when it comes to their relentless efforts to take women’s bodily autonomy and human rights away from them. See below for video and highlights.
- Aaron Rouse’s victory was a victory “for all of us…who believe in a safer, more equitable, more prosperous Virginia”
- “…Tuesday night was a resounding rejection of the MAGA extremism that has swept across our Commonwealth, including candidates who make banning abortion a pillar of campaigning. They’re catering to the most extreme wing of the Republican Party, with our own governor going as far as to set aside money to possibly jail women who have an abortion and doctors who perform them.”
- “How many times does the governor and politicians across the aisle need to be told by Virginians, ‘no’? They do not want an abortion ban, a ban that’s dangerous for women and is downright wrong.”
- “It is our job to listen to our constituents, not dictate how they live their lives. To think otherwise is downright disrespectful.”
- “There is one party that is fighting tooth and nail to protect a woman’s right to choose, and it’s the party that flipped a Senate seat on Tuesday night.”
- “I know there’s a lot we can do together…But there is one thing that can jeopardize everything, and that’s if the other side of the aisle only focuses on banning abortion, taking freedoms away from people and overruling the will of the voters. We heard them last week. We hope you got the memo.”