From the Democratic Party of Virginia:
DPVA Chairwoman Susan Swecker Labor Day 2023 Statement
RICHMOND, VA – Today, Democratic Party of Virginia Chairwoman Susan Swecker released the following statement celebrating Labor Day:
“Today, we celebrate the history and achievements that the organized labor movement has accomplished in Virginia and across the country. As we look to the future, it could not be more important that we keep President Biden – the most pro-union and pro-worker president in history – in the White House next year.
Over the last two and a half years, President Biden and Democrats have focused on rebuilding the American economy from the bottom up and the middle out – so it works for working families. Meanwhile, MAGA Republicans have repeatedly sided with big corporations, undermining Virginia workers’ rights, shipping jobs overseas, and leaving the middle class behind. There’s so much at stake for workers in the next two years, and Virginia Democrats are laser focused on ensuring we’re electing leaders who advocate for them, both on the state and federal level.”
Here are a few highlights of how President Biden has delivered for workers and organized labor:
- Over 13 million jobs created — including 800,000 new good-paying, manufacturing jobs created — many of which don’t require a four-year degree,
- Wages are higher than last year and higher than before the pandemic, accounting for inflation—with lower wage workers seeing the largest gains,
- Sparked over $480 billion in private sector manufacturing and clean energy investments,
- Hundreds of thousands of auto industry jobs created, including more than 120,000 auto manufacturing jobs,
- Strengthening, modernizing, and expanding apprenticeship programs to help connect Americans to good paying union jobs,
- Raised the minimum wage for federal workers and contractors,
- Helped save the pensions of hundreds of thousands of union workers and retirees,
- Ensuring the overwhelming majority of the investments in the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law and the CHIPS and Science Act are covered by Davis-Bacon prevailing wage requirements,
- Appointed a general counsel and board members to the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) who are committed to protecting the right of workers to organize.