1. DEL. MARSHALL ASKS MCDONNELL FOR 'EXECUTIVE ORDER' ON IMMIGRATION
3. MCDONNELL WANTS TROOPERS DEPUTIZED TO CHECK STOPPED DRIVERS' IMMIGRATION STATUS
6. MCDONNELL TO TALK LIQUOR IN ROANOKE CO.
7. CUCCINELLI BECOMES FOX NEWS' GO-TO ATTORNEY GENERAL
9. CUCCINELLI, UNION OF CONCERNED SCIENTISTS SAYS, DOESN'T UNDERSTAND HOW SCIENCE WORKS
10. CAMPAIGN CASH CONTROVERSY, DEBATE DISPUTE ERUPT IN 5TH DISTRICT RACE
11. ADVOCACY GROUP CALLS FOR RECUSAL OF HEALTH-CARE JUDGE OVER INVESTMENTS
14. EXPERTS SELECTED FOR NAS URANIUM STUDY
17. VIRGINIA'S HEALTH CARE SUIT ASKS: CAN CONGRESS FORCE PEOPLE TO BUY INSURANCE?
21. THE POLITICS OF IMMIGRATION
27. SCOTT CELEBRATES LEVELING OF PUNISHMENT FIELD BETWEEN CRACK AND COCAINE...
29. NUNS AT VIRGINIA MONASTERY FIND ROOM TO FORGIVE WHILE MOURNING SISTER'S DEATH
The Anti-Defamation League (ironically named in this case) needs to watch Mayor Bloomberg's superb speech on religious tolerance and freedom, retract its "truly shocking" statement, and stop betraying its own founding principles. Newt Gingrich needs to watch this (not that he will) and reconsider his extreme, anti-Muslim bigotry. Sarah Palin needs to watch this and "refudiate" her previous remarks on the subject. Virginia Beach Councilman Bill DeSteph needs to watch this and stop spreading his hateful falsehoods, let alone claiming that he speaks for all Virginians (which he most certainly does not). We all need to watch this, pondering what it means to be an American, what the 1st Amendment to our Constitution stands for, what the evil people who attacked us on 9/11/01 were trying to take away from us, and how we should never let a few misguided fanatics win even the smallest victory.
Thank you to Mayor Bloomberg - and the great, free, city of New York - for understanding the true nature of who we are and what Al Qaeda attacked on September 11, and for fighting to ensure that in this case, at least, the terrorists will not win.
So, we know the dude's got "issues," but when is Delgaudio's Best Friend Forever, Del. Tom Rust (R), going to dissociate himself from this lunacy? And when does Delgaudio endorser Rep. Frank Wolf (R) ("No one works harder than Eugene. He is not afraid to make the tough decisions and speak out for what he thinks is right") going to do the same?
[Cue sound of crickets chirping...chirp...chirp]
The Benedictine Sisters are dismayed and saddened that this tragedy has been politicized and become an apparent forum for the illegal immigration agenda. While grieving and dealing with the death and severe injuries of our sisters, we would like to re-focus attention on the consequences of drinking and driving and on Christ's command to forgive.Sadly, that statement is unlikely to slow down, let alone stop, right-wing political figures from using this tragedy to advance their own political agenda. It should, but it won't...
We are confident that Sister Denise is in the arms of our loving God and hopeful that the two injured sisters will be restored to health. We are also confident that responses of mercy and forgiveness, though usually not easy, are not optional for Christians and are required in order to preserve and promote the dignity of life at all stages.
This blow-dried, air-headed hypocrite is one of the top "leaders" in today's GOP? That tells you everything you need to know.
In her introduction to Cooch's interview, Ingraham said that the legal opinion he issued the other day -- "that Virginia law enforcement officers, including conservation officers may, like Arizona police officers, inquire into the immigration status of persons stopped or arrested" -- is "just commonsense." Actually, many of us to the left of Attila the Hun would argue that comprehensive immigration reform dealing with the root causes of this issue, making the border more secure, regularizing the flow of labor into our country, and providing a fair path to earned citizenship for law-abiding people living and working in America, is "just commonsense," but that's obviously not Ingraham's - or Cooch's - view.
Instead, Cooch's view - good conservative that he is - seems to be almost completely focused on the law enforcement end of the equation. Thus, according to Cooch, it's all about an "anti-ILLEGAL sentiment" - "and you bet I'm anti-ILLEGAL, I'm anti-illegal ANYTHING." Cooch explained further that "we're not a tribe or a clan in this country, we subscribe to a fundamental rule of law...It's the one who are cheating and not playing by the rules...don't respect the rule of law, we don't want those people here."
Meet Dick Wadhams, the Colorado Republican state party chair and the man trying to deal with Colorado's Republican Senate and gubernatorial candidates' recent gaffapalooza.Not good. So, why do I say this couldn't have happened to a nicer guy? If you're interested, I recommend this Slate magazine article on Wadhams, which explains his "pit bull" reputation, his "slash-and-burn reputation," his accusation that Tom Daschle "emboldened Saddam Hussein," attacking Daschle's wife, etc., etc. There's also Wadhams' work with James Dale Guckert, aka "Jeff Gannon," the fake White House "reporter" who turned out to be a gay male "escort" under the professional name "Bulldog." And, bringing it home to Virginia, there's Wadhams' disgraceful 2006 U.S. Senate campaign, in which he helped orchestrate attacks on Jim Webb's acclaimed Vietnam War novels as pornographic. Wadhams justified those attacks, saying, "Webb continually refers to himself as a writer. That's the main thrust of his professional life... so his writings should be subject to scrutiny by the public. ... Webb is the one that wrote those words - we didn't."
You may remember Wadhams. He made a name for himself by helping John Thune upset then-minority leader Tom Daschle in 2004. He managed successful campaigns for Sen. Wayne Allard and Gov. Bill Owens in Colorado, and Conrad Burns in Montana. In 2005, Slate dubbed him Karl Rove's "heir apparent."
Since then, it's been just about all downhill. Wadhams served as chief of staff and campaign manager for George Allen, who went on to "macaca" fame. In 2008, he managed Bob Schafer's doomed Senate run in Colorado, while also serving as the state's GOP party chair. The state went to Obama.
In recent weeks, Wadhams has had to watch all four of his party's major primary contenders commit serious mistakes on their way to the August 10 primaries. Now, Tom Tancredo is after him, and a new website dedicated to his ouster has been launched.
Fortunately, the public rejected Wadhams' despicable tactics in 2006. Now, in 2010, virulent racist and all-around lunatic Tom Tancredo is after him. Now, normally, I wouldn't wish such a fate on my worst enemy. But in this case, and given Wadhams' heinous past behavior (including in 2006 right here in Virginia) it's very hard to resist the temptation to conclude that this couldn't have happened to a nicer guy...
1. CUCCINELLI'S CHALLENGE TO HEALTH-CARE OVERHAUL STANDS
3. HEALTH-CARE LAW TO SAVE MEDICARE $8 BILLION THROUGH NEXT YEAR, REPORT PREDICTS
4. WHITE HOUSE RESPONDS TO CUCCINELLI'S LAWSUIT MOVING FORWARD - IN BLOG POST...
6. CUCCINELLI: VA. POLICE CAN ASK ABOUT IMMIGRATION STATUS
10. CUCCINELLI PLEASED WITH HEALTH RULING, WHILE FEDS EXPRESS CONFIDENCE IN CASE
13. MCAULIFFE, KILGORE LEAD FUNDRAISING EFFORT FOR NEW CAPITOL SQUARE MEMORIAL
14. CANTOR CALLS FOR TAX CUT EXTENSION
16. WARNER FLEXES FUNDRAISING MUSCLE FOR OUT-OF-STATE DEMOCRATS....
17. FORMER GEORGE ALLEN STAFFER DICK WADHAMS BATTLING IT OUT IN COLORADO....
19. COSTS TO GO UP FOR VIRGINIA UNIVERSITIES
22. BWI FARES AMONG NATION'S CHEAPEST; DULLES RANKS AS SEVENTH MOST COSTLY
38. DRIVER IN FATAL VA. CRASH HAD PREVIOUS DUI VIOLATIONS
Senator A. Donald McEachin (D-Henrico) today released this statement countering Delegate
Todd's remarks about the Chesapeake Bay over the past weekend. Senator McEachin said, "I was dismayed to hear that yet another Republican has joined the Republican efforts to turn back the clock and not do what is critically necessary to protect the Chesapeake Bay. This time it's Delegate Todd Gilbert who is doing his best to create misplaced fear with false accusations. Just this past weekend he told a group of young farmers that attempts to clean up the Chesapeake Bay are really a conspiracy of "urban" legislators to take farms away and destroy farmers' "heritage."
"This is, of course, utter nonsense. Cleaning up the Bay will protect farmers by ensuring they have a clean water source for their crops. Moreover, a clean Chesapeake Bay will protect other critical jobs here in the Commonwealth. Watermen need a clean Bay for their fishing businesses to prosper. Tourism depends on access to clean unpolluted waters."
1. EPA REJECTS CLIMATE PETITIONS FROM CUCCINELLI, OTHERS
2. CHANGES TO ETHICS RULES ADD TRANSPARENCY TO STATE INVESTIGATIONS
3. GILBERT TELLS FARMERS THEY MUST PROTECT 'WAY OF LIFE'
7. VET GROUP UNDER SCRUTINY REMAINS ELUSIVE IN VA.
8. THE TRUTH ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING
11. CHESAPEAKE BAY PROTECTION CAN'T BE PARTISAN
13. WRING OUT TAXES DUE
14. THE FRINGE TAKES OVER
17. METRO BOARD MEMBERS PLAY HOOKY
18. UNCERTAIN FUTURE AWAITS UPROOTED MARKET TENANTS
19. VA RESORT IN 'DIRTY DANCING' FALLS ON HARD TIMES
20. LIBRARY USAGE INCREASES AS BUDGET CUTBACKS HINDER SERVICES