Sadly, the sometimes candid conversation between David Hallock and Paul Logan paled in comparison to the sparks between Chris LaCivita and Ellen Qualls during VPAP's 2013 analysis. Now that was an analysis worth attending! LaCivita is an unapologetic political hack, in the most delightful way possible, who never shies away from defending his dirty approach to politics. No wonder many of my friends simply call him "the devil." Compare that to Logan and Hallock shifting uncomfortably in their seats trying to defend the practice of spamming inboxes in order to raise low donor funds.
Hallock at several times made the point that the lack of engagement during the midyear election depressed both volunteer enthusiasm and eventual voter participation, particularly among the Democratic base. While bemoaning the difficulties of getting Democratic constituencies to the poles, he clung to defending Warner's "statewide" campaign that stressed bipartisanship and reaching out to Southwest and Southside Virginia.
Perhaps Democratic disengagement is not a fact of life for midterm elections, but a byproduct of the type of campaign Warner ran?
In his concluding remarks, Hallock made the case that the Democratic Party needs to do a better job of engaging our voters and turning them out in off-year elections.
Let's talk about that.
*MCDONNELL, OBAMA MEET ABOUT VETERANS, FEMA AID
*WHITE HOUSE DOWNPLAYS REPORTS ABOUT LACK OF SUPPORT BY VIRGINIA DEMOCRATS
*VPAP: PARTY FUNDS TARGET RACES THEY DEEM CRITICAL
*IN VIRGINIA SENATE RACES, MONEY IS FLOWING
*CONTRIBUTIONS TO GENERAL ASSEMBLY CANDIDATES DOWN 13 % FROM 2007
*CUCCINELLI SAYS SENATE DEMS "MUST BE STOPPED" (Cuccinelli makes a strong argument for why you absolutely need to vote Democratic on November 8!)
*REPUBLICAN CHICHESTER ENDORSES DEMOCRATS IN SENATE RACES
*VIRGINIA WON'T SEEK FEDERAL PRE-K FUNDING
*SENATORS, CONGRESSMEN SEEK FEMA AID FOR TROPICAL STORM LEE
*IN HAMPTON, OBAMA PUSHES PLAN FOR HIRING VETERANS
*MCDONNELL: OBAMA ADMINISTRATION "ALMOST CLUELESS" ON ECONOMY (Ha, that's rich, coming from someone whose party pretty much trashed Bill Clinton's surplus and helped bring down the economy - nice)
*ARLINGTON APPROVES NEW BOEING REGIONAL HEADQUARTERS
*METRO LINE TO DULLES COULD RUN $150 MILLION OVER BUDGET
*AIRPORTS BOARD TALKS SECRETLY ABOUT BEING OPEN
*OBAMA MAKES SURPRISE STOPS AT HAMPTON PUMPKIN PATCH, PIZZA PLACE
*APATHY WILL BE THE DEATH OF SOCIETY YET
1. MCDONNELL SAYS SAFE URANIUM MINING WOULD BENEFIT STATE
2. DANVILLE DELEGATE'S BILL FUELS VIRGINIA ENERGY EFFICIENCY
3. BIG DONORS GIVE BULK OF VA GOV'S $1.5M IN 2ND Q
8. U.S. SENATE CANDIDATES WEIGH IN ON DEBT-CEILING DEBATE
9. ALLEN RAISES $1.1 MILLION IN 2ND QUARTER ("Democrat Timothy M. Kaine, Allen's most prominent opponent and a fellow former governor, announced last week that he had raised $2.25 million in the second quarter, double Allen's figure.")
10. RADTKE WANTS DEBATE WITH ALLEN
14. WEBB FOR CLOSING LOOPHOLES, BUT NOT INCOME TAX HIKES
15. VIRGINIA'S CANTOR ASCENDS AS GOP VOICE IN DEBT-LIMIT TALKS
16. TENUOUS TALKS ON DULLES RAIL IN FAIRFAX COUNTY
18. RESEARCH INDICATES VA. SCHOOLS 'HOSTILE' TO GAY STUDENTS
23. EDITORIAL: NO FRACKING IN THE NATIONAL FOREST
28. SCHAPIRO: VIRGINIA'S OPTIONS IN DEFAULT UNCLEAR
P.S. And check out Ruth Marcus' op-ed, in which she says about Eric Can'tor, "To understand Cantor, think Macbeth with all the vaulting ambition and none of the accompanying guilt." That about sums it up. That's right, he's Mr. "I want what I want when I want it." Simply repulsive.