A new editorial from the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star slammed Yesli Vega (VA-07) for her extreme, hardline stance on reproductive rights – and why her agenda is wrong for Virginians and dangerous for women across the state.
The editorial calls out Vega for her “incoherent, rambling” false claim that victims of rape are less likely to become pregnant, and in later audio, suggesting only God can decide to save the life of the mother.
Yesli Vega is too extreme and wrong for Virginia. Read more from the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star editorial board:
Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star: Editorial: Vega, Youngkin and political extremism
By Editorial Board
August 10, 2022
- “Virginians owe a debt of gratitude to Gov. Glenn Youngkin and congressional candidate Yesli Vega. On the issue of abortion, these two politicians have made clear the stark line between principled conservatives and the extremists who now control much of the state Republican Party.”
- “Vega—who has spoken little to the press and not responded to emails or phone calls from The Free Lance–Star—has now twice expressed abortion positions that are both grossly uninformed and steeped in Christian nationalism.”
- “First came her incoherent, rambling statement during an event in Stafford County about rape […] Anti-abortion politicians have made this claim before, and it’s patently false.”
- “Not only is Vega dangerously uninformed about rape and its consequences, she is making clear what other extremists are now pushing—a total nationwide ban on abortion in the U.S.”
- “Vega […] not only rejects the opinions of those who disagree with her and her theology, she would disallow the majority of voters in states like Kansas, who overwhelmingly voted to keep abortion, from setting their own policies.”
- “Vega says on her website that ‘the wisdom of our Founding Fathers has never been more needed.’ We agree, and Vega needs to spend considerably more time in their works.”
- “Vega offers no balance. Just arrogance, ignorance, and an iron fist for anyone who disagrees.”