* Bain purchased drug store chain Duane Reade. The CEO Bain hired was himself later convicted of investor fraud and the chain sold out-of-date drugs and baby formula.
* Damon International's CEO, another Bain hire for a Bain acquisition, was convicted for tricking doctors into ordering unnecessary tests and billing them to Medicare. It is particularly heinous that the program Mitt seeks to gut what has been his cash cow.
* Bain was among the first companies to use leveraged buyouts to over-treat patients and over-bill payers and patients.
* Bain bought Dade International, a medical equipment suppler, and milked bankruptcy laws to enrich Bain executives with investors' money. Note that Romney remained Bain's owner after he stopped leading it day-to-day. Dade was sold to Siemens at fire sale prices, according to Eskow. Investors got pennies on the dollar. And private insurers, Medicare, and ultimately all of us paid.
* Bain purchased CRC Health Group, a chain of drug treatment facilities. Another leveraged buyout, CRC was accused of numerous cases of abuse and neglect...all the while Bain profiteered.
* Perhaps the worst instance of Bain's affect on the quality of health care was its purchase of HCA. This particular purchase is rich with GOP taint. (The Frist family once owned the chain but sold it. Then Rick Scott famously "led" the chain while the chain defrauded Medicare of billions of dollars. Remember, HCA was, as an organization, charged with vast Medicare billing fraud and charged the biggest fine in medicare history, $1.7 billion. Notably Gov Rick Scott, the then CEO got off Scott-free so to speak. Still it is hard to believe that he knew nothing about the goings on there. And now he sits in the governor's mansion of Florida. Apparently, according to Eskow, HCA facilities ignored accusations that the chain's surgeons were performing unnecessary heart surgeries and fired a whistleblower who reported that. They had bottom-line targets to hit.