GOP Pledges to Cut Spending! (by 0.01%)

    0
    Advertisement



    Rep. Kevin McCarthy, one of the main authors of the GOP “Pledge to America,” can only come up with $100 million – that’s MILLION – in cuts, out of a $3 trillion – that’s 1,000 THOUSAND times greater than a million – federal budget.  For the math challenged, McCarthy’s proposed cuts amount to 0.01% of the federal budget, leaving 99.99% of the federal budget – including entitlements (Medicare, Social Security), defense and interest on the debt; about 80% of the budget – intact.  And he won’t name any non-defense discretionary programs he’d cut. Wow, is that bold or what? Of course, what else would you expect from a bunch of fresh-faced, fresh-ideas “Young Guns” like John BONEr and Eric Can’tor?  On second thought…

    UPDATE: Actually, as Paul Krugman points out in his superb article, “Downhill With the G.O.P.,” “there’s only one specific cut proposed – canceling the rest of the Troubled Asset Relief Program, which Republicans claim (implausibly) would save $16 billion. That’s less than half of 1 percent of the budget cost of those tax cuts.”

    There's no paywall on Blue Virginia, and we definitely want to keep it that way! If you want to help support our work, you can donate here - thanks! Also, you can sign up for our weekly email list here.