From the Ralph Northam for Governor campaign:
RELEASE: Ralph Northam Unveils Education Policy Platform
Richmond, VA – Today, Ralph Northam unveiled his education policy platform to make quality education available for all Virginians, no matter who they are, no matter where they are. As Governor, Lieutenant Governor Northam will fight every day to get our kids the skills they need to compete in a 21st century economy.
Last month, Lieutenant Governor Northam announced his G3 : Get Skilled — Get a Job — Give Back, which funds last-dollar tuition and fees for any Virginian to pursue a workforce training credential or an associate degree in one of the targeted, new-collar job areas, from cybersecurity to early childhood education, construction trades to health care.
His education plan includes measures to:
- Attract, retain, and support teachers
- Continue standards of learning (SOL) reform
- Expand access to quality and affordable early childhood education
- Increase the number of students taking computer science, coding, and advanced placement courses.
- Break the school-to-prison pipeline
- Promote community support and wraparound services in Virginia schools
- Support high school redesign and jump start developing the workforce
Of the plan, Lt. Governor Ralph Northam said:
“As a doctor, I see the light of potential in the eyes of every child that walks into my office. By putting families and students first and giving every child a shot at success, we can ensure that light never goes out. Every child in the Commonwealth deserves to have the same opportunities I did, and the foundation for that is a quality education. I’m a proud product of Virginia public schools—and I’ll fight for them as governor. ”