"As the auto industry and financial markets begin to stabilize, the President says the government's emergency interventions are now winding down. He pledges that real reform, particularly on Wall Street, must now begin."
If you really want to enjoy this video, I suggest you take a shot every time you hear Mark Warner use the words "moderate," "bipartisan," or "work across the aisle." Cheers! :)
RICHMOND - The administration of Governor Bob McDonnell, Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, and Lt. Governor Bill Bolling will have been in power for 100 days as of Sunday, April 25, 2010. As the first traditional time stamp approaches, Virginia Democrats must question the priorities of the McDonnell Administration.
Democratic Party of Virginia Chairman Dick Cranwell released the following statement Friday declaring that Virginians deserve more from their elected officials, citing ideological distractions that have damaged Virginia's reputation at home and around the nation:
"Governor McDonnell, Attorney General Cuccinelli, and Lt. Governor Bill Bolling have been in office for 100 days. In that time it has become clear that this administration is struggling on one major front: setting clear priorities. Virginians overwhelmingly expect a commonsense, results-oriented government, yet what we have endured for the last 100 days is a distracted government."
Much more after the "flip."
Our failure to act responsible at the federal level will only open the door to irresponsibility by others. That includes, for example, the recent efforts in Arizona which threaten to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and their communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe," the president said at a naturalization ceremony for members of the military.
In fact, I've instructed members of my administration to closely monitor the situation and examine the civil rights and other implications of this legislation. But if we continue to fail to act at the federal level, we will continue to see misguided efforts opening up around the country.
He added, "As a nation, as a people, we can choose a different future - a future that keeps faith with our history, with our heritage, and with the hope that America has always inspired in the hearts of people all over the world."
"Misguided efforts" like...portrayed here, for instance?
I don't always agree with Cenk Uygur, but this is an instant classic. Watch as Cenk asks former vice presidential nominee for the Libertarian Party, Wayne Allyn Root, where the Tea Party protests of Wall Street are exactly. The answer, although Root won't outright admit it, is that "there are no such protests and there never will be." Fascinating.
1. MCDONNELL UNHAPPY WITH REJECTED ETHICS BILL CHANGE
3. GOVERNOR TO SIGN ETHICS BILL, MINUS HIS 2 CHANGES
4. DESPITE A FEW LOSSES, MCDONNELL CLAIMS SUCCESS ON MOST ISSUES WITH ONE-DAY LEGISLATIVE SESSION
5. MCDONNELL LOOKS FOR WAYS TO SPEED UP RIGHTS RESTORATION PROCESS
6. A MEETING OF TWO GOVERNORS: MCDONNELL AND WILDER
7. CUCCINELLI SPEAKS TO AUGUSTA CHAMBER
8. MEDICAID UNCERTAINTY LEAVES VA. LEGISLATORS ANXIOUS
9. SENATORS PRESENT INDOMITABLE COLGAN WITH GAVEL FROM MARATHON SESSION
13. VA. SENATORS SEEK END TO 'SECRET HOLDS' IN U.S. SENATE
14. EX-NAVY SECRETARY WEBB: CARRIER MOVE IS 'UNLIKELY'
17. ARLINGTON WINS FIRST BATTLE IN HOT LANES LEGAL WAR
22. VA. TO USE NRA MEASURES IN NEW GUN-SAFETY PROGRAM
Here in Virginia, we are blessed with countless beautiful open spaces, scenic rivers, the Chesapeake Bay and rolling mountains...[blah blah blah meaningless pabulum, whatever]...I took a hike with local schoolchildren and planted trees while talking to them about the importance of a clean environment...[did they ask you about your AG's assault on the environment? how did you respond?]...The recent good news that the Blue Crab population in the Chesapeake Bay has increased by 60% since last year [right, that improvement was under Tim Kaine, now you're governor and we're looking to see what you're going to keep that progress going exactly], and is now at its highest level since 1997, demonstrates that good public policy [for instance, do you support doing something about sprawl? pollution from coal-fired power plants? impermeable pavement? encouraging "green roofs?" climate change?] will lead to a cleaner and healthier environment...[of course, all those efforts will be for naught if we don't do something about climate change, ASAP]...I encourage all Virginians to conserve, preserve and give back to clean up our environment...[except that, when it comes to public policy, you're not doing even 0.1% of what you need to be doing on that front].
Amazing; Bob McDonnell issues an "Earth Day" statement and doesn't even mention the #1 "Earth" issue - climate change. He also doesn't mention the fact that his fellow Republican, Ken Cuccinelli, is one of the most rabid anti-environment Attorney Generals this country has ever seen, and that McDonnell says they're totally in sync with each other.
Also not mentioned by McDonnell: this last General Assembly session, members of his party - presumably with McDonnell's acquiescence if not encouragement - killed basically every piece of strong legislation on energy efficiency, renewable power, and seriously protecting our environment. On the other hand, McDonnell "took a hike with local schoolchildren and planted trees," so all is well in the world I suppose. Ugh.
UPDATE: Now this is more like it; thank you, President Obama!
For the full transcript of President Obama's speech this morning on Wall Street reform click here. A few key quotes are after the "flip." Now, it's time for Congress to pass financial reform and make sure that we never again go through a crisis like the one we saw in late 2008.
2. VIRGINIA LEGISLATURE RESTRICTS ABORTION FUNDING
3. HOUSE REJECTS AT-RISK YOUTH CUTS, OTHERS BY GOV
9. MEMBERS OF BLACK CAUCUS WANT MORE COMMUNICATION FROM GOVERNOR, BUT NOT NECESSARILY A MEETING
10. PROTESTING 'CONFEDERATE' PROCLAMATION, LAWMAKERS WEAR BLACK RIBBONS IN MEMORY OF SLAVE ANCESTORS
11. GOP-LED HOUSE KILLS MCDONNELL'S AMENDMENT ON EUTHANIZING DOGS
13. ALLEN AND ABOUT 1,200 TURN OUT FOR SHAD PLANKING
14. CUCCINELLI ISSUES RARE PRAISE FOR EPA IN STORMWATER CASE
16. FORMER MCDONNELL BROTHER-IN-LAW ADDRESSES GAY-RIGHTS RALLY
18. NYE: NAVY TO KEEP CARRIER HERE UNTIL AT LEAST 2019
20. POLL: STATE'S ENVIRONMENT NEEDS WORK
24. VIRGINIA STAMPS OUT LICENSE TO HATE: DMV RECALLS PLATE WITH CODED RACIST MESSAGE
36. METRO INTERIM CHIEF ANNOUNCES PLAN TO STRENGTHEN RAIL SYSTEM
UPDATE: Video from the Shad Planking, attended this year by 1,200 people, including George Allen and Terry McAuliffe.