Courtesy of Project Vote Smart, Rep. Barbara Comstock’s vote ratings in a variety of areas include:
- ZERO from Planned Parenthood
- ZERO from NARAL Pro-Choice America
- ZERO from the American Civil Liberties Union
- ZERO from Environment America
- A pathetic 8% from Defenders of Wildlife
- 100% from the extremist gun group, Virginia Citizens Defense League
- 100% from anti-immigrant group FAIR, designated by the Southern Poverty Law Center as a “hate group”
- 91% from the Family Research Council, also designated by the Southern Poverty Law Center as a “hate group”
Clearly, these ratings do not reflect the wishes of voters in Virginia’s 10th CD. On guns, for instance, poll after poll has shown overwhelming (80%, 90%) support across Virginia for universal background checks and other commonsense gun violence prevention measures. As for Planned Parenthood, polls have shown strong support for continued funding to that organization. On immigration, the vast majority of Americans (and presumably 10th CD voters) support comprehensive immigration reform, not the extreme solutions of groups like FAIR. Virginians also support environmental protection and clean energy, neither of which Comstock is at all serious about.
We could go on and on all day but you get the idea: Barbara Comstock may be the “representative” for Virginia’s 10th CD at the moment, but she is certainly not “representing” the district in the sense that she reflects her constituents’ views in Congress. IN stark contrast, LuAnn Bennett will actually represent the district when she’s elected. So, now all 10th CD voters have to do, assuming they want someone who actually reflects their views, is to choose LuAnn Bennett on November 8th. See, that wasn’t so hard.