Among the comments on President Obama’s interview with Jon Stewart on Comedy Central was one from an obviously fed-up person with the monicker of “YahooSerious,” who led off with this blast:
This is why we don’t want the Republican party back in office. Seriously, all this crap you blame Obama for…he had to fix ALL of this before he could even get started on his own promises. In 8 short years, Bush and Cheney orchestrated the biggest American shamefest ever experienced. And yes, I know Bush isn’t running for president again, but the Republicans and Tea-Party are endorsing the same policies that he presided over, resulting in 8 years of FAIL. The fact that we have to argue for letting the tax cuts for the wealthy expire is an indication of how willing the American public is willing to be misled, confused, and hoodwinked into thinking this is all Obama’s fault. It’s like the entire population of America has been getting high on Glenn Beck’s stench and have suffered short term memory loss. Here’s a list of our former “leader’s and Republican Party’s” achievements. I defy you to come up with a list so dismal for the Democrats.
Below is a partial list from his comments, to re-fresh your minds in the final cram session before finals on next Tuesday:
“* Attacked and took over two countries.
* Spent the surplus and bankrupted the treasury
* Shattered record for biggest annual deficit in history.
* Set economic record for most private bankruptcies filed in any 12 month period.
* Set all-time record for biggest drop in the history of the stock market.
* First president in decades to execute a federal prisoner.
* First president in US history to enter office with a criminal record. (not a biggee, but if you’re gonna insist Obama is a muslim…)
* First year in office set the all-time record for most days on vacation by any president in US history….
* Presided over the worst security failure in US history….
* In W’s first two years in office over 2 million Americans lost their job.
* Cut unemployment benefits for more out of work Americans than any president in US history.
* Set the all-time record for most foreclosures in a 12 month period.
* Appointed more convicted criminals to administration positions than any president in US history.
* Signed more laws and executive orders amending the Constitution than any president in US history.
* Presided over the biggest energy crises in US history and refused to intervene when corruption was revealed.
* Cut healthcare benefits for war veterans.
* Set the all-time record for most people worldwide to simultaneously take to the streets to protest him (W, that is) (15 million people), shattering the record for protest against any person in the history of mankind.
* Dissolved more international treaties than any president in US history.
* Members of… (W’s) cabinet are the richest of any administration in US history. (the ‘poorest’ multi-millionaire, Condoleeza Rice has an Exxon oil tanker named after her)….
* Presided over the biggest corporate stock market fraud of any market in any country in the history of the world….
* Created the largest government department bureaucracy in the history of the United States. And you want us to believe Republican’s hate big government???
* Set the all-time record for biggest annual budget spending increases, more than any president in US history….
* First president in US history to have the United Nations remove the US from the human rights commission. (disgust beyond words)
* First president in US history to have the United Nations remove the US from the elections monitoring board. Gee I wonder why.
* Removed more checks and balances, and have… (less) … congressional oversight than any presidential administration in US history. And the rest is, well…History? News? * Rendered the entire United Nations irrelevant.
* Withdrew from the World Court of Law. * Refused to allow inspectors access to US prisoners of war and by default no longer abide by the Geneva Conventions.
* First president in US history to refuse United Nations election inspectors (during the 2002 US elections).
* All-time US (and world) record holder for most corporate campaign donations….(W’s) biggest life-time campaign contributor presided over one of the largest corporate bankruptcy frauds in world history (Kenneth Lay, former CEO of Enron Corporation).
*First president in US history to unilaterally attack a sovereign nation against the will of the United Nations and the world community….
*Took the biggest world sympathy for the US after 9/11, and in less than a year made the US the most resented country in the world (possibly the biggest diplomatic failure in US and world history).
* With a policy of ‘dis-engagement’ created the most hostile Israeli-Palestine relations in at least 30 years.
* First US president in history to have a majority of the people of Europe (71%) view his presidency as the biggest threat to world peace and stability.
* First US president in history to have the people of South Korea (feel) more threatened by the US than their immediate neighbor, North Korea.
* Changed US policy to allow convicted criminals to be awarded government contracts.
* Set all-time record for number of administration appointees who violated US law by not selling huge investments in corporations bidding for government contracts.
* Failed to fulfill his pledge to get Osama Bin Laden ‘dead or alive’…but tried really hard. Even worked weekends.
* In the 18 months following the 9/11 attacks successfully prevented any public investigation into the biggest security failure in the history of the United States.
* Removed more freedoms and civil liberties for Americans than any other president in US history. * In a little over two years created the most
* Entered office with the strongest economy in US history and in less than two years turned every single economic category heading straight down.?…. Voting out of anger will just put the people who caused America’s failure back in office.”
YahooSerious left out such things as:
* Lost a great American City (NOLA), not to a hurricane named Katrina, but because of the complete incompetence of his administration.
* Only American President to make torture a national policy.
* Legislated a give-away to pharmaceutical drug companies, forbidding government to bargain for lower costs
* Most anti-science administration in American history
* Blurred line between church and state
* Imposed misogynist gag rule worldwide
* Presided over rapid increase in horrendous gap in income between top one percent of American society and the 99 percent of the rest of us.
Now, I realize only too well that many of the points mentioned are not disdained by a certain segment of our society, and may even be not just approved, but pointed to with pride (like the torture policy, or the shock-and-awe invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan). On the other hand, I have another opinion, and I definitely do not want to return to those policies which W so ruthlessly imposed. Since the Tea Party- dominated Republican Party has frankly embraced every noxious policy of George W. Bush, a vote for a Republican at any level is a vote to return to Bush’s glory days. No, thanks.