From Virginia House Democratic Leader David Toscano:
CLOSING ARGUMENTS: BE SURE TO VOTE!
November 5, 2018
We are in the fight of our lives, and this election is the most important one yet. The Trump presidency is not only systematically attempting to undo the positive changes of the Obama years, but is attacking the institutions of Democracy itself. His assaults on civil servants, labeling those with whom he disagrees part of the “deep state,” diatribes against journalists and the media, and reckless disregard for the rule of law bring to mind Franklin’s admonition in the aftermath of the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia 231 years ago that the founders had created “a Republic … if you can keep it.” Every day of the Trump White House provides us with more evidence of efforts to undermine the counterbalances to executive power, whether it involves the discirminatory “travel ban,” his efforts to “pack the courts” with like-minded judges, or the peddling of “fake news” claims and cynical lies.
This midterm election, like many others before, is a referendum on the administration. Fortunately, we have great candidates in our area who have offered themselves for service—Tim Kaine and Leslie Cockburn. Both are committed to restoring our Madisonian tradition of Congress as a “check and balance” against the power of the Executive, but we should vote for them for many reasons other than Trump. Tim and Leslie will fight for health care, a fair tax policy, good jobs that pay a living wage, an energy policy which supports renewables, and civil rights for minority groups, women, and LGBTQ citizens. They will make us proud!
What Do We Need To Do?
1. MAKE A PLAN TO VOTE.
- Check your voter registration to be sure it’s up to date on the Department of Elections website here; in addition to telling you what precinct you vote in, your record includes information about your polling place.
- See if your polling location has changed (there have been some changes in Albemarle County since last fall’s election); there’s information about the Albemarle polling place changes here.
- Bring your photo ID with you to the polls. You can see a list of acceptable forms of photo ID here. If you don’t have one of these forms of ID, or if the one you have expired more than one year ago, you can go to your local registrar’s office and apply for a FREE Virginia Voter Photo ID Card. You will receive a Temporary Voter Photo ID that you can use for this election, and your card will be mailed to you.
- If you need a ride to the polls (or to the registrar’s office to get your Virginia Voter Photo ID Card), our local Charlottesville/Albemarle volunteer, nonpartisan group CAR2Vote can help. Call (434) 260-1547 or fill out their handy online ride request form here.
2. CALL/EMAIL/TEXT YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY—PEOPLE CAN FORGET IT’S ELECTION DAY. DON’T LET THEM FORGET.
Thank you all for participating in this year’s election—voting is the basic building block of our democratic system. Your vote always matters. Let’s get out there tomorrow and show the nation that Virginia leads the way!
David J. Toscano