As former Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe considers whether or not to run for the Democratic 2020 presidential nomination, how’s he doing in national and state polls? See below for some recent ones I found. In short, McAuliffe utterly dead in the water in these polls, either not mentioned at all or at 0%, behind basically everyone. The question is, why is McAuliffe even considering running for president, when there’s clearly zero interest nationally, or in NH or SC, among Democratic voters for his candidacy? Seems crazy to me, but maybe he’s seeing something these public polls aren’t? Personally, I don’t see McAuliffe having a snowball’s chance in hell of winning the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination, or even beating out folks like Jay Inslee and John Hickenlooper for also-ran status. What do you think? Are these polls missing a secret, super-well-hidden font of support for “the Macker?” Do you think there *should* be any support for TMac among Democratic 2020 presidential primary voters? Is so, why?Feel free to weigh in!
- Morning Consult (3/5/19): McAuliffe at 0%, tied for last place with John Delaney and Jay Inslee, and behind folks like John Hickenlooper (1%), Tulsi Gabbard (1%), Steve Bullock (1%), Pete Buttigieg (1%) and “Someone Else” (3%). Joe Biden leads with 31%, followed by Bernie Sanders at 27% and Kamala Harris at 11%.
- Emerson South Carolina Poll (3/2/19): McAuliffe nowhere to be found. Biden leads with 37%, Sanders at 21%, Harris at 9%.
- Granite State New Hampshire Poll (2/28/19): McAuliffe nowhere to be found. John Delaney and John Hickenlooper each at 0%; Pete Buttigieg, Tulsi Gabbard, Kirsten Gillibrand, Michael Bloomberg and Sherrod Brown each at 1%.
- Charleston Post and Courier South Carolina Poll (2/20/19): McAuliffe nowhere to be found. Tulsi Gabbard, Eric Swalwell, Andrew Yang, Julian Castro, Kirsten Gilibrand, John Hickenlooper, Michael Bloomberg, Amy Klobuchar each at 1%.
- Harvard Harris (2/20/19): McAuliffe nowhere to be found.
- UMass Amherst New Hampshire Poll (2/16/19): McAuliffe nowhere to be found.
- Emerson (2/16/19): McAuliffe nowhere to be found. Pete Buttigieg and John Delaney each at 0%; Julian Castro and Kirsten Gillibrand each at 1%.
- Monmouth (2/4/19): McAuliffe at <1%, behind Andrew Yang (1%), Tulsi Gabbard (1%), Kirsten Gillibrand (1%), John Hickenlooper (1%), Sherrod Brown (1%), etc.