Butterfly Effect Mural, a Global Art and Philanthropy Project, is Live in Alexandria
Visitors can take a Picture and Pick a Charity to Receive a Donation
ALEXANDRIA, VA (July 1, 2019) — Vice Mayor Elizabeth Bennett-Parker and community volunteers installed a Butterfly Effect Mural in Old Town Alexandria on June 29th and June 30th.
Artist Tasha Wahl created The Butterfly Effect, a global public art and philanthropy project featuring interactive butterfly murals. Through September 8, visitors will be able to take a picture with the butterfly wings (located at 924 King Street) and select a charity of their choice from a list of almost 250 local and national nonprofits to receive a donation, with funding provided by Ms. Wahl and an anonymous donor through ACT for Alexandria.
Artists, members of the Commission on the Arts, and community members worked together to paint the mural. The Butterfly Effect highlights the opportunity for everyone to embody the philosophy of Mahatma Gandhi, becoming the change they want to see in the world by facilitating small acts of kindness, encouraging generosity, and promoting creativity. It is modeled after Edward Lorenz’s “Butterfly Effect” theory that even the softest flutter of a wing can affect the molecules around it, setting off a chain reaction that amplifies into major change. In three years, more than 200 social butterflies have been installed worldwide.
Vice Mayor Elizabeth Bennett-Parker first learned about the Butterfly Effect on Instagram and applied for the opportunity to bring a mural to Alexandria. Upon selection by Ms. Wahl earlier this year, Vice Mayor Bennett-Parker worked with her to customize the mural by including the phrase “Be the Change You Want to See in the World” in additional languages (Spanish and Arabic), as well as the hashtag #InclusiveALX.
“I’m excited to bring the Butterfly Effect to Alexandria because it will build community, promote vibrancy on upper King Street, and highlight nonprofits in a fun, interactive way. I’m thankful to Tasha Wahl for her vision in starting this global project and for choosing Alexandria; to Asana Partners and Bloomers for providing the space for the mural; and to the members of the community who will brought it to life, ” she said.
Visitors can secure a donation to charity through the following steps:
1. Head to the mural at Bloomer’s at 924 King Street – it is on the side facing Patrick Street and take your picture with the butterfly wings. Feel free to get creative!
2. Pick a charity from the list at: www.bit.ly/alxbutterflyeffect (please note this link is case-sensitive).
3. Email the picture to email@example.com with the name of your charity in the subject line. Alternatively, you can text 202-681-7594 with the picture and name of your charity.
4. For a chance to win an extra $500 donation, post your photo on social media and tag @elizabethforalx and include the hashtags: #inclusiveALX and #butterflyeffect and your charity of choice.
5. The charity with the most people choosing it will also receive an extra $500 donation.
For more information, please visit: https://www.elizabethforalx.com/butterfly-effect-mural