Before watching the following video, let’s briefly recall who Mark Meadows is:
- “A Tea Party Republican, Meadows was a founding member of the Freedom Caucus“
- Served as Trump’s chief of staff in 2020-2021
- “As chief of staff, he played an influential role in the Trump administration’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic. He questioned the efficacy of masks, contrary to public health expertise; pressured the Food and Drug Administration to adopt less strict guidelines for COVID-19 vaccine trials; and admonished the White House’s own infectious disease experts for not ‘staying on message’ with Trump’s rhetoric. In October 2020, Meadows said it was futile to try ‘to control the pandemic’, emphasizing instead a plan to contain it with vaccines and therapeutics. As the virus spread among White House staff in the fall of 2020, he sought to conceal the cases, including his own.
- “After Trump lost the 2020 presidential election, Meadows participated in Trump’s failed effort to subvert the election results and remain in power.”
- ” Meadows aided Trump in his efforts to overturn the election and to pressure election officials in Georgia to overturn the results of the election in that state (which Biden won) based on Trump’s baseless claims of fraud. He urged Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger to overturn the certification of Georgia’s election results in a ‘spirit of cooperation and compromise’. In a taped phone call during which Meadows was present, Trump attempted to pressure Raffensperger into recounting Georgia’s votes, claiming he had won the state.”
In short, this guy is among the worst of the worst…really should be in prison for a variety of crimes, including his role in trying to overturn the 2020 election, the phone call to Brad Raffensberger, etc, etc. The fact that he’s “been working with” Virginia House GOP leader Todd Gilbert about this November’s elections, and that he’s pledging Trump will be “involved in [helping Virginia Rs win this November],” should focus every pro-democracy Virginian’s mind on what’s at stake in these elections, and help to energize everyone to make sure that Meadows, Trump, Gilbert and Youngkin come nowhere near victory in <100 days.
.@GlennYoungkin has pledged his complete allegiance to Donald Trump — and now, Trump is getting heavily involved in his far-right campaign.
Here’s a top Trump ally talking about their plans to drag Virginia backwards. We can’t let it happen. pic.twitter.com/MET54JdRKs
— Virginia Democrats (@vademocrats) July 30, 2021