Another hard-hitting, and hopefully effective, ad from the Lincoln Project:
– [Narrator] Why is Glenn Youngkin suddenly talking about critical race theory?
– [Interviewer] Why do you think it is the issue to put your state back in Republican hands?
– [Announcer] After all, it’s not taught in Virginia schools. Not one. We’ll tell you why, but first, let’s turn the clock back a few years to Lee Atwater, a Republican operative who used race to win elections.
– [Lee Atwater] “You start out in 1954, by saying (repeats n-word). By 1968, you can’t say (n-word), that hurts you, it backfires. So you say stuff like ‘forced busing’, ‘states’ rights’, and all that stuff.”
– [Narrator] Like Atwater, Glenn is using coded language. Because in 2021, he can’t get away with saying what he really wants to say. So if you see Glenn Youngkin talking about critical race theory —
– [Glenn Youngkin] Critical race theory — critical race theory– critical race theory
– [Narrator] Make sure to let him know he’s not fooling anyone.
– [Atwater] “Anyway you look at it, race is coming on the back burner.”