Tag: Whipple Clips
1. MCDONNELL MEETS WITH SOUTH KOREAN PRESIDENT
3. MCDONNELL: TRADE SHOWS PROMISE
4. CLEAVELAND WILL NOT SEEK RE-ELECTION
8. STATE OFFICIALS SAY CHARITY REVIEW JUST BEGINNING
10. SEN. WARNER DELIVERS 1,200 MESSAGES TO SEAL TEAM THAT KILLED BIN LADEN
12. VA. NOT A WINNER IN OBAMA OIL-DRILLING PLAN
13. ALLEN COURTING TEA PARTY FOR 2012 WITH MIXED SUCCESS
15. SEN. WARNER, IN NORFOLK, SOUNDS ALARM ON DEBT CRISIS
19. URANIUM MINING COULD ENDANGER ROANOKE RIVER, ADVOCACY GROUP AMERICAN RIVERS SAYS
21. DEFENSE CUTS HIT NEARLY 1,000 WORKERS IN REGION
28. VIRGINIA'S IT HOLDOUTS
32. WOLF, CONNAUGHTON WARN ABOUT IMPACTS FROM INCREASING SILVER LINE COSTS
33. FAIRFAX COUNTY CHAIRMAN FORMALLY ANNOUNCES REELECTION BID
1. MCDONNELL: ASIAN MARKETING MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
2. DECISION ON KILLER NOW HAUNTS KAINE
3. HELP ARRIVES IN GLADE SPRING
4. VALLEY BIDS SOLDIERS FAREWELL
5. DISASTER AID: NOT POLITICAL
6. CLIMATE CHANGE DENIAL BECOMES HARDER TO JUSTIFY
7. A FITTING MOMENT FOR FORT MONROE
8. AFTON THEATER EARNS ANOTHER STAY
10. CARILION'S HEALTH REFLECTS ON REGION
11. URANIUM: DIG DEEPER
13. OLD TOWN PREPS FOR FLOODING
15. CITY UTILITY RATES TO SURGE IN YEARS TO COME
UPDATE: Regarding the definitive, authoritative, National Academy of Sciences report on climate change and America's options, please click here to read the main findings. In short, it's "case closed," no doubt whatsoever can possibly remain for anyone with a brain (and who isn't bought and paid for by the fossil fuel companies):
Climate change is occurring, is very likely caused primarily by the emission of greenhouse gases from human activities, and poses significant risks for a range of human and natural systems. Emissions continue to increase, which will result in further change and greater risks. In the judgment of this report's authoring committee, the environmental, economic, and humanitarian risks posed by climate change indicate a pressing need for substantial action to limit the magnitude of climate change and to prepare for adapting to its impactsAt this point, frankly, if a candidate for public office, or a political officeholder of any kind, "denies" climate science, they should be automatically disqualified when you're considering who to vote for. It's as bad as "denying" that the earth is round, that there's such a thing known as "gravity," that 1+1=2, etc. It simply makes you unfit to be taken seriously, let alone to serve in public office in the United States of America. What's so shameful is that right here in Virginia, we've got one of the worst of the worst in terms of science denial, Ken Cuccinelli, actually holding the high public office of Attorney General. Come 2013, that needs to come to an end, on the grounds of this issue alone if nothing else (although there's plenty more).
Oh, and let me just emphasize: this is NOT - repeat, NOT! - a "liberal" or "conservative" "issue" (in fact, it's not an "issue" at all), it's science. It's also about the planet that EVERYONE - "liberals," "conservatives," "independents," whatever - inhabit. So why has this non-"issue" been politicized, especially when Republicans from Newt Gingrich to Tim Pawlenty to Sarah Palin (yes, believe it or not!) have all previously "acknowledged" man-made (or at least man-exacerbated) climate change (as if it's something that requires "acknowledgment," but whatever).
1. WITH AGING CAUCUS, VA. SENATE DEMS FACE UNSETTLED FUTURE
2. CANDIDATES DECLARE FOR NEW 22ND DISTRICT STATE SENATE SEAT
5. HURT VOTES IN FAVOR OF OFFSHORE DRILLING
6. VA. INMATE'S WIN IN SUIT AGAINST GOVERNMENT A RARITY
7. OBAMA MAY ALLOW OIL DRILLING OFF VA. COAST
8. AGENCIES OUTSIDE VITA PAY THOUSANDS MORE
10. UVA MAKING FINAL PUSH IN $3 BILLION CAMPAIGN
18. LESSONS FROM A DELEGATE'S FALL
21. SCHAPIRO: LEGISLATORS DEPEND ON KINDNESS OF STRANGERS
22. HEADING HOME AFTER 14 YEARS CHRONICLING VIRGINIA POLITICS
24. AMOUNT SPENT ON EDUCATION IN NORFOLK UNDER DEBATE
25. ARLINGTON TO SELL $207 MILLION IN BONDS
1. MCDONNELL PHONES HOME FROM CHINA
4. MCDONNELL: HAMILTON'S CONDUCT UNACCEPTABLE
8. BOLLING WELCOMES NEW CITIZENS INTO AMERICAN FAMILY AT RED HILL
10. VA. LAWMAKERS TO RESUME REDISTRICTING WORK JUNE 9
11. VA. ETHICS RULES QUESTIONED IN WAKE OF FEDERAL CASE
12. FREDERICK FOR SENATE?
14. VIRGINIA TAX REVENUE ON THE RISE, APRIL FIGURES SHOW
16. NORTH ANNA MUST DETAIL DISASTER PLANS
17. MINING BAN IS BACKED
19. VA. TECH GRADUATION CANCELED DUE TO LIGHTNING
24. EXPEDITED REDISTRICTING REVIEW
27. BROTHER WITH CLEAN RECORD HELD IN WINCHESTER FOR DAYS
UPDATE: And also see President Obama's weekly address, "Expanding Responsible Oil Production in America."
1. MCDONNELL SEEKS STORM AID FROM PRIVATE SECTOR
2. GOV. BOB MCDONNELL OPENS MARKETING OFFICE FOR VIRGINIA IN SHANGHAI
3. TRACKING THE PROPOSAL THAT SPELLED HAMILTON'S DOOM
9. APRIL REVENUES IN VIRGINIA GROW BY 1.5 PERCENT AS ECONOMY REBOUNDS
13. KAINE ASKS OTHERS TO JOIN FIGHT TO END BIG OIL SUBSIDIES
15. SENATE CONFIRMS ROANOKE MAGISTRATE AS FEDERAL JUDGE FOR WESTERN DISTRICT OF VIRGINIA
19. DONATION OF GREENBRIER OWNER TO MCDONNELL MAY BE AN INVESTMENT IN THE FUTURE
20. $600 MILLION IN BONDS SOLD TO FUND TRANSPORTATION PROJECTS STATEWIDE
21. GATES MAY BE ABLE TO DELAY MARK CENTER MOVE
22. GROUP URGES DELAY FOR VA. URANIUM MINE
25. FEMA SAYS VIRGINIA HAS CAPABILITY TO HANDLE TORNADO DAMAGE
36. ONE SHOE DROPS IN BRIBERY CASE
UPDATE: Also, it's appearing more likely that Jeff Frederick -- who we last saw getting booted out by Virginia Republicans as their state party chair for being utterly incompetent -- might be baaaaaaaack for real. Frederick sent out an email yesterday that announced he is "actively considering running for the state Senate. Specifically, in the 36th district (current incumbent: Toddy Puller)." According to Frederick, "reentering public life with three children under the age of 5" is a tough decision, but "for me it's always been about serving and if God is lighting the path for me to contribute in this way, we'll charge full speed ahead at the opportunity -- and the challenge." Stay tuned! (and for now, learn more about Frederick's antics here, here, here, here, and here. Also, he's now got a blog -- watch out! LOL)
1. MCDONNELL ASKS DOD TO DELAY BRAC TRANSFER
2. STATE SENATE MAP WOULD ALTER RICHMOND-AREA BOUNDARIES
4. HAMILTON FACES 30 YEARS IN PRISON FOLLOWING CONVICTION
10. KAINE ASKS OTHERS TO JOIN FIGHT TO END BIG OIL SUBSIDIES
12. KAINE, ALLEN AGREE ON ONE THING: DULLES RAIL
14. FIRST AFRICAN-AMERICAN FEMALE APPOINTED FEDERAL DISTRICT JUDGE SEAT IN VIRGINIA
16. WARNER, COBURN PROPOSE $5 BILLION IN CUTS
20. REPORTS GIVE REGION'S ROADS MIXED GRADES
38. FOLLOWING THE MONEY IN VIRGINIA POLITICS
41. DULLES TOLL MONEY PAYS FOR OTHER ROADS
42. FAIRFAX OKS METRO BUILDING RESIDENTS OPPOSE
43. NORFOLK WANTS TO BUILD FIVE SCHOOLS IN 6 YEARS
UPDATE: Jon Stewart demolishes the latest Faux News/Teapublican ginned-up non-controversy. The bottom line is that Stewart's hilarious, but these people - Palin, Rove, etc. - are a complete joke, both in the "haha funny" way and also in the "not serious" sense. Why does ANYONE listen to them for a second? Now, back to someone who's both brilliant smart and...just brilliant -- Jon Stewart!
1. MCDONNELL HAS HEALTHY APPROVAL RATING, POLL FINDS
2. MCDONNELL: GAY MARRIAGE BAN WAS "THE RIGHT DECISION"
3. IN JAPAN, MCDONNELL TRIES TO LURE BUSINESSES TO VA.
4. MCDONNELL'S PAC PULLS IN $260,000
6. MCDONNELL POLICY CHIEF HEADING BACK TO PRIVATE SECTOR
7. CUCCINELLI SENDS VIRGINIA'S REDISTRICTING PLANS TO JUSTICE DEPARTMENT, COURT FOR REVIEW
9. METRO SET TO ROLL OUT 152 NEW BUSES
10. LAWYER: EVIDENCE 'REEKS' OF GUILT
14. STATE BAR PANEL VOTES AGAINST LAW LICENSE REINSTATEMENT FOR MORRISSEY
15. WASHINGTON POST VIRGINIA POLL: GAY MARRIAGE VS. GAY ADOPTION
20. JUDGES HEAR ARGUMENTS IN HEALTH CARE CHALLENGE
31. RICHMOND PREPARES FOR NEXT BIG FLOOD
P.S. Also, here's President Obama on "building a 21st century immigration system." I agree we should do that, but good luck getting it through the BONEr-controlled House and sclerotic Senate.
1. Virginia officials scramble to restore funding for charities
2. McDonnell's transportation plan: A page from the subprime playbook?
3. Senators, governor's office negotiating on redistricting plan
4. Basketball coach Jim Larranaga's departure a blow to George Mason, on and off the court
5. House Republicans urge McDonnell to sign redistricting bill
6. Mark Warner says federal spending is near all-time high, relative to GDP (and "government revenue is close to an all-time low at 15 percent of gross domestic product")
7. Cantor: "Not Seeing Anything Real Out of the President."
8. McDonnell says Trump brings "straight talk"
9. Kaine loves crabs, needs money
10. Challenger to Goodlatte labels GOP 'destructive'
11. Republican challenger for the 6th congressional district
12. The facts favor an aboveground Metro station at Dulles
P.S. Also, here's President Obama's weekly address, "Stopping Oil Market Fraud, Beginning a Clean Energy Future."
1. MCDONNELL WAITS UNTIL LAST MINUTE TO ACT ON BILLS, BUDGET
2. MCDONNELL SIGNS BILL RESTRICTING ALCOHOL ADS ON BILLBOARDS
3. MCDONNELL SIGNS BILL EXTENDING TIME FOR SEX ABUSE VICTIMS TO SUE
5. VA GOV'S EFFORT TO WEAKEN AUTISM BILL CHALLENGED
11. SENATE DEM REMAP PUTS 4 REPUBLICANS IN 2 DISTRICTS
18. STATE POLITICAL REDISTRICTING COULD WEAKEN HAMPTON ROADS
20. DELEGATE FOR 18TH DISTRICT DECIDES NOT TO SEEK SIXTH TERM, CITES FAMILY REASONS
22. HOUSE DEMOCRATS STILL DIGESTING GOP REDISTRICTING PROPOSALS, PREDICT VOTER CONFUSION AND FRUSTRATION...
24. OBAMA PUSHES DNC CHAIRMAN KAINE TOWARD SENATE BID
25. GOP WANTS DRILLING OFF VIRGINIA'S COAST
31. VIRGINIA TECH IS ISSUED MAXIMUM FINE FOR RESPONSE TO INITIAL DEATHS DURING APRIL 16 SHOOTINGS
34. VA. OKS STUDY OF WIND TURBINES IN CHESAPEAKE BAY
43. REGION'S HOME PRICES BUCKING NATION'S DOUBLE DIP
UPDATE: Also, see NLS' analysis of how House Republicans now have "a base of 66 seats out of 100, with two more likely to flip to them soon- and four others they can be competitive in- for a total universe of 72 seats." And in the Senate? "The problem with this is a lack of understanding by the Democrats of what off/off year electorates look like...In a Governor's election with higher turnout this type of district would give Democrats a solid 55-67% win no matter how bad the cycle, but in an off/off year election this could be a major problem." If this analysis is correct, it's not good -- not good at all.
UPDATE #2: The graph of the day comes from Nate Silver:
1. MCDONNELL SIGNS BILL REGULATING ABORTION CLINICS AS HOSPITALS
2. MCDONNELL SIGNS CAR TITLE LOAN BILL
4. MCDONNELL LIKELY TO VETO BILL THAT WOULD RAISE MEDICAL MALPRACTICE AWARDS
5. TALKS OVER POSSIBLE AUTISM BILL CHANGES CONTINUE
6. MCDONNELL SIGNS BILLS EXTENDING SEX ABUSE SUIT LIMIT
11. WORLD CALAMITIES HAMSTRING MCDONNELL'S ENERGY VISION
12. VA. BEACH WOULD LOSE STATE SENATOR UNDER DEM PLAN
14. EXTRA LARGELY BLACK VA CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT LAUDED AS GOAL, BUT QUESTIONABLE IN PRACTICE
15. ADVOCATES CRITICIZE POPULATION CRITERIA FOR VA. REDISTRICTING
18. ORGANIZATION FORMS TO PUSH TO KEEP BAN ON URANIUM MINING
19. FEDS CITE MASSEY MINES FOR DOZENS OF VIOLATIONS
27. SHINING SOME SUNLIGHT ON $200 MILLION IN VIRGINIA TAX BREAKS
UPDATE: ArlNOW has a scoop: "Rep. Jim Moran said he did not anticipate taking sides in the primary between Krupicka, Ebbin and Arlington School Board Chair Libby Garvey."
P.S. And also check out President Obama's speech last night on Libya.