I’m not even going to link to the following trash, nor should anyone else (e.g., VPAP, which apparently will link to anything, as long as it’s not on a “blog”). But more to the point, why in hell would the Daily Press publish the following unhinged, wildly erroneous, outrageously irresponsible, bats***-crazy, climate-science-denial crap on their newspaper’s editorial page? And what on earth is their ridiculous note about how some readers complained that this guy’s column wasn’t there last Saturday, and how “we heard you loud and clear?” What next, are the Daily Press editors going to publish a Holocaust denial column if neo-Nazis complain to them? How about a column denying that humans landed on the moon? Flat earthers? Sandy Hook “truthers?” “Birthers?” Is there anything the Daily Press won’t publish, assuming enough readers complain to them?
By the way, the author of this disgraceful column actually is an economics professor at George Mason University (note: see here for some thoughts on GMU’s ties to the Koch brothers, as well as some of the good work they do) who has previously:
- Argued that “the largest losers of America’s anti-tobacco crusade aren’t tobacco companies and smokers, it’s the American people who are incrementally giving up private property rights.”
- Asserted that “Social Security has no ‘constitutional authority'” and that “Americans should be allowed to sell their own organs as an issue of private property rights.”
- Claimed, bizarrely, that “Man-made global warming, for many, is an Earth-worshipping religion”; and that “The very idea that mankind can make significant parametric changes to the Earth has to be the height of arrogance.”
- Wrote “a series of pieces asserting that U.S. colleges are excessively diverse and that this diversity is connected with lower academic standards”; “how standards in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) fields are being lowered specifically to accommodate women”; how “too much diversity can lead to people of different races reverting into their own groups, creating a racially segregated atmosphere”; etc.
- Has been “a guest host for Rush Limbaugh’s radio program when Limbaugh is away traveling.”
So anyway, why on earth is the Daily Press publishing this guy’s far-right ravings? What the hell is the Daily Press editorial board thinking (or are they thinking at all)?