See below for press release from Rep. Abigail Spanberger (D-VA07)’s campaign, as well as from the DCCC, regarding far-right-extremist VA07 GOP(Q) nominee Yesli Vega. The more we learn, the more disturbing it gets with Vega…
Yesli Vega Embraces Endorsement from Anti-Choice Group that Opposes Contraception
On Friday, Vega welcomed the endorsement of a fervently anti-choice group
FREDERICKSBURG, VA – The campaign of U.S. Rep. Abigail Spanberger today is responding to Yesli Vega welcoming the endorsement from the Susan B. Anthony List last Friday.
The Susan B. Anthony List’s mission is to support candidates who want to “end abortion.” Like Yesli Vega, the Susan B. Anthony List opposes abortion exceptions for rape and incest and opposes a woman’s right to access IUDs and the morning-after pill. Additionally, the Susan B. Anthony List opposes same-sex marriage, just like Yesli Vega.
“This endorsement should come as no surprise to Virginians who have witnessed Yesli Vega’s anti-abortion extremism on full display ever since she announced her run for Congress. Vega, a former police officer, has cast doubt on the likelihood that women who are raped can become pregnant and said only God – not a doctor – can decide the life of the mother. Now, she is touting her endorsement from a group that wants to block access to contraception,” said Justin Chermol, Press Secretary, Abigail Spanberger for Congress. “With just weeks until early voting begins, Virginians will put their trust behind Abigail Spanberger, a public servant who has worked tirelessly in Congress to protect the fundamental rights to privacy, contraception, and choice.”
Yesli Vega applauded the Supreme Court’s draft opinion to overturn Roe v. Wade as an “amazing victory,” doubted the likelihood that women who are raped can become pregnant, and made clear in endorsement questionnaires that she supports a nationwide ban on abortion – even in cases where the life of the mother is at risk.
Congresswoman Abigail Spanberger (D-VA-7) is the only pro-choice, pro-marriage equality, and pro-privacy candidate in the race for Virginia’s Seventh Congressional District.
Spanberger has been a vocal advocate for safeguarding the rights of all Virginians. Spanberger has voted with a majority in the U.S. House to protect the rights to contraception, same-sex marriage, interstate travel for reproductive care, and twice to codify Roe v. Wade.
Yet another local editorial board is slamming Yesli Vega (VA-07) for her extreme, hardline agenda – and why her dangerous policies are bad for Virginia.
The Daily Progress editorial board called on Vega to “detail your infrastructure plan, your affordable health care plan, your pandemic control plan, your jobs plan,” which she declined to do. The editorial board said Vega campaigns by “crying wolf” instead of supporting policies that will actually help working families across Virginia. Instead of focusing on growing high-paying jobs, expanding broadband access, or easing traffic congestion, Vega will “proudly refuse to be bipartisan and vote against almost everything that arises.”
Not only does Vega lack a plan to make the lives of Virginians better, she also said “we have to” shut down the government in a recent radio interview. Virginia’s 7th District is home to hundreds of thousands of career federal employees. The editorial board highlighted Vega’s out-of-touch comment, writing in part, “Saying you would vote to shut down the government to thwart Joe Biden is not a good start.”
Local editorial boards have been slamming Yesli Vega for being unfit to represent Virginia’s 7th Congressional District, including the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star and the Washington Post. Read more from The Daily Progress editorial board:
The Daily Progress: Editorial: Vega hasn’t yet put her district over her dogma
By Editorial Board
September 4, 2022
- “All [Vega’s] bloviating to represent Virginia’s 7th mirrors the political tactics used by her mentor, Rep. Bob Good, in Virginia’s 5th Congressional District. It begs the same questions for Vega as it has for Good. What are you going to do for your constituents?”
- “Crying wolf brings no high-paying jobs. It increases no broadband access. It builds no roads or schools. It addresses no traffic congestion on the I-95 corridor near the city of Fredericksburg, and in Spotsylvania, Stafford and Prince William counties.”
- “It envisions no management of population growth, industrial development or marketing focus to improve quality of life in Greene, Madison, Culpeper and Orange counties.”
- “In other words, she wants to be like Bob Good. Or Marjorie Taylor Greene. Or Lauren Boebert. Or any of the other members of the House Freedom Caucus who proudly refuse to be bipartisan and vote against almost everything that arises.”
- “Virginians living in the 7th District must ask themselves if they want their representative in league with the fringe dwellers of House Republicans, the folks who value ideology over compromise.”
- “If Bob Good is the model for Yesli Vega, expect a Christian whose private faith governs public policy regardless of what best serves her constituents […] He brags that his job is to beat Democrats. This is why he voted consistently against spending bills that brought hundreds of millions of federal dollars to his district and constituents.”
- “Come on, Ms. Vega; let’s hear if you plan to vote against legislation that brings hundreds of millions of bucks to the 7th District simply because it came from a Democratic administration.”
“Also, please detail your infrastructure plan, your affordable health care plan, your pandemic control plan, your jobs plan.”
“The Daily Progress sent an email to Vega’s media email this week asking some questions. We asked what specific socialist programs Vega felt she needed to fight. We asked whether she supported Good’s life at conception bill that could ban virtually all abortions including those in cases of rape and incest.”
“No response as of Thursday afternoon, when this editorial went to print.”