Time is running out for vulnerable House Republicans to salvage their razor-thin majority
This week marks one year since the 118th Congress began. In the 365 days since, extremists have hijacked the House floor, endangering their vulnerable members and refusing to get things done for the American people.
At the midpoint of the 118th Congress, the House Republican majority has made history for all the wrong reasons:
- To start, the speaker election stretched past the first ballot for the first time since 1923 and became the longest race for the gavel since 1856;
- Just nine months later, Republicans ousted Kevin McCarthy from his post;
- Then, every single vulnerable House Republican voted to elevate MAGA Mike Johnson to House Speaker – the least experienced Speaker in modern history;
- After months of protecting serial fraudster George Santos, the House finally expelled Santos from his seat… the third expulsion since the Civil War and the first since 2002;
- To cap it off, the Republican-led majority was labeled the least productive Congress since the Great Depression.
The only productive accomplishments made this year happened because House Democrats led the way.
- When our nation was staring down the brink of a dangerous default crisis that would have resulted in a job-killing recession, Democrats helped pass a bipartisan deal to avert catastrophe.
- When our government was just hours from shutting down, Democrats provided the votes to keep our government open … twice.
- When our farmers needed help to feed and fuel America, Democrats sought compromise to extend critical Farm Bill programs.
- When our troops needed a pay raise, Democrats stepped up to honor our commitment to them and keep our country safe.
In December, the DCCC released a memo recapping the Republican-led least productive Congress in nearly a century. Read it here.
DCCC Spokesperson Viet Shelton:
“The first year of the 118th Congress will go down in infamy for its failure, extremism, and chaos. House Republicans have refused to work across the aisle to deliver for the American people – and the clock is ticking on their incredibly-shrinking majority.”