Courtesy of VPAP, check out the following graphics of the money race for Virginia General Assembly. A few takeaways include:
- For House of Delegates races, only three challengers (Democrat Mavis Taintor in HD33, Democrat Nancy Guy in HD83, Democrat Phil Hernandez in HD100) hold a cash advantage over incumbents, with 16 races “near cash parity,” 16 races with the incumbent holding a cash advantage and 15 races with the incumbent holding a “substantial cash advantage.”
- For State Senate races, there are seven (Democrat Missy Cotter Smasal vs. Sen. Bill DeSteph in SD8; Democrat Ghazala Hashmi vs. Sen. Glen Sturtevant in SD10; Democrat Amanda Pohl vs. Sen. Amanda Chase in SD11; Democrat Debra Rodman vs. Sen. Siobhan Dunnavant in SD12; Democrat Amy Laufer vs. Sen. Bryce Reeves in SD17; Democrat Ronnie Ross vs. Sen. Jill Vogel in SD27, Democrat Qasim Rashid vs. Sen. Richard Stuart in SD28) where the incumbents and challengers are “near cash parity”; four where incumbents hold a cash advantage; and seven where incumbents hold a “substantial cash advantage.”
- Regarding the main funding sources for Virginia General Assembly candidates, just as was the case back in July, Democrats dominate donations from small-dollar donors, individuals (note: Republican Del. Nick Freitas received one enormous donation from a far-right “megadonor”; also note that Freitas sent a bunch of this money, in $1,000 or $5,000 increments generally, to Republican House and Senate candidates around the state) and labor, while Republican money sources are heavily corporate.
- Top donors to House of Delegates Democrats include Michael Bills, Win Virginia, Sonjia Smith, the Democratic Party of Virginia, “The Way Ahead” PAC, the Mid-Atlantic Laborers’ Political Education Fund, “Future Now,” Clean Virginia, Rep. Don Beyer (D-VA08), the Carpenters Legislative Program of Greater Pennsylvania, Emily’s List, “Green Advocacy Project,” “Flippable VA PAC” and Tom Steyer.
- Top donors to House of Delegates Republicans include the “Colonial Leadership Trust PAC,” Richard Uihlein, the Republican State Leadership Committee, the Republican Party of Virginia, Paul Milde, and GOPAC.
- Other big donors to House of Delegates races include: the Virginia Wine Wholesalers, Altria (formerly Phillip Morris), the Virginia Beer Wholesalers, Bristol Casino Resort, Westview Associates, Virginia Realtors, Dominion Energy, Virginia Beverage Association, Virginia Auto Dealers Association, Virginia Bankers Association.
- Top donors to Senate Democrats include: Michael Bills, Sonja Smith, Win Virginia, DPVA, the Virginia Senate Democratic Caucus, “The Way Ahead” PAC, Leonard Bennett, Flippable, Mid-Atlantic Laborers Political Education Fund, Emily’s List, Clean Virginia.
- Top donors to Senate Republicans include: the Republican State Leadership Committee, the Virginia Senate Republican Caucus, GOPAC, the Republican Party of Virginia, John Wynne.
- Other big donors to State Senate races include: the Virginia Hospital & Healthcare Association, the Virginia Dental Association, Altria, the Virginia Wine Wholesalers Association, the Virginia Beer Wholesalers Association, Dominion Energy, Brambleton Group LLC, Virginia Realtors, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, National Association of Realtors, Queen of Virginia Skill & Entertainment LLC, Virginia Bankers Association, Bristol Casino Resort LLC, Verizon, Appalachian Power