Check out the following graphics, by VPAP, which provide “a closer look at the $2.4 million raised by FairMapsVirginia, the group that lead a successful effort to pass a statewide ballot measure that enshrines bipartisan redistricting in the state constitution.” In short:
- $2,328,095 went to “FairMapsVirginia,” the *vast* majority (about $2.1 million) from out of state.
- The biggest donors were “Unite America” ($1,130,000) and “Action Now Initiative” ($555,567), followed by “Unite and Renew Fund” ($150,000) and Jeff Chambers ($150,000).
- For more information on “Unite America,” see Unite America wants to upend the two-party system in Colorado. Their strategy doesn’t look like it will work. and also Ballotpedia (“As of 2019, the board of Unite America included Charles Wheelan, Kathryn Murdoch, Shawn Riegsecker, Jeff Binder, Katherine Gehl, Linda Killian, Marc Merrill, Greg Orman, Lisa D.T. Rice, Ron Shaich, and Neal Simon.”)
- For more information on “Action Now Initiative,” see Texas Hedge Fund Billionaires Funding Virginia Redistricting Amendment Effort Give $250k Donation to “OneVirginia 2021.”
- Note that the amendment passed easily. If opponents had had some money, would that have made a difference? We’ll never know…