Remember how Axios flat-out lied, claiming (falsely) that Youngkin “is bypassing MAGA-oriented gubernatorial gubernatorial candidates in favor of pragmatists running tough races in blue states?” Except that, of course, Youngkin has absolutely NOT been campaigning for “pragmatists,” but instead for far-right extremists like Tudor Dixon in Michigan, Paul LePage in Maine, Heidi Ganahl in Colorado, Joe Lombardo in Nevada, etc, etc.
And now, according to this morning’s Politico, Youngkin will be campaigning for one of the most extreme, batshit-crazy candidates in America:
‘Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin is expected to stump for Arizona governor candidate Kari Lake next month, escalating his midterm campaign efforts ahead of a prospective 2024 presidential bid…
… Lake will be the highest-profile, most MAGA-aligned candidate Youngkin has campaigned for to date. She has embraced Trump’s false claim the 2020 election was stolen, railed against Covid vaccine mandates and turned the media into a punching bag. Polls have shown her in a tight race with Democratic Secretary of State Katie Hobbs, in a state that was narrowly won by President Joe Biden.”
As Politico notes, Lake is a “MAGA-aligned candidate” who “has embraced Trump’s false claim the 2020 election was stolen, railed against Covid vaccine mandates,” etc. Horrendous, but believe it or not, it gets worse! Check it out.
- “Lake identifies as a conservative Republican and described herself in 2022 as a ‘Trump candidate.‘ During her 2022 gubernatorial campaign, she attracted support from right-wing extremists. She accused President Joe Biden and Democrats of harboring a ‘demonic agenda.’“
- “Lake said in 2022 that she considers abortion to be ‘the ultimate sin‘ and praised the Supreme Court decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, which held that there was no federal right to abortion under the U.S. Constitution, and overturned Roe v. Wade. She expressed support for banning both surgical abortions and medication abortions in Arizona.“
- “Lake has opposed legislation to create non-discrimination protections for people based on sexual orientation and gender identity, and opposing restrooms accommodating transgender people.“
- “Lake has been a leading proponent of the false claim that the 2020 presidential election was “stolen” from Trump. During her campaign, she aligned herself with Trump, and made promotion of election lies central to her candidacy.Lake falsely claimed President Joe Biden did not receive 81 million votes and that Arizona (which was won by Biden in the 2020 presidential election) was actually won by Trump. After the 2021 Maricopa County presidential ballot audit found no evidence of election fraud, she demanded the election be “decertified”—a legal impossibility, as such a process does not exist. “
- “Lake endorsed Jarrin Jackson, a far-right online streamer, in his campaign for State Senate in Oklahoma. Jackson was subsequently scrutinized for his past record of making antisemitic comments, including claims that “the Jews” are evidence that ‘evil exists’; that ‘Jews will go to hell’; and that ‘Jews taking over the world.'”
On and on it goes (for instance, on her website, she falsely – and dangerously – claims that “vaccines have now been shown to have significant, deadly side effects while providing little or no protection against contracting Covid-19”). Completely bonkers. Yet, apparently, Youngkin is perfectly ok with this insanity, as he’s “expected to hold political and fundraising events for Lake.” Any further questions as to whether Youngkin’s a “moderate?” LOL