It took a looong time, but it finally happened: former Rep. Scott “Petitiongate” Taylor (R-VA02)’s 2018 campaign now has a guilty plea hanging around its neck.
A staffer who worked on former Congressman Scott Taylor’s 2018 re-election campaign has pleaded guilty to “willful neglect of election duty” over improperly gathered petition signatures.
Taylor was the incumbent Republican who lost the 2nd Congressional District seat to Democrat Elaine Luria in 2018. Questions arose about efforts of Taylor’s campaign to get independent candidate Shaun Brown on the ballot.
Also note, as the Virginian-Pilot story details:
“The investigation is still ongoing,” Special Prosecutor John Beamer said afterward. “You’re likely to see more” indictments in the case.
Obviously, none of this is good for Scott Taylor’s political career…and for very good reason. For more background on all this, see:
- We’re FINALLY Seeing Some Movement on the Scott Taylor #Petitiongate Scandal; Two Indictments Presented
- Video: Confronted with His #Petitiongate Fraud Scandal, Scott Taylor Threatens to Sue DCCC, Blames His Staff; Elaine Luria NAILS Him
- Mired in #Petitiongate Scandal, Desperate/Flailing Scott Taylor (R-VA02) Lashes Out with “Disgrace” of an Ad…on 9/11, No Less
- Video: VA-02 #Petitiongate Story Update – “address on Shaun Brown’s petitions is not a valid address”
- BREAKING: Judge’s Opinion on VA-02 #Petitiongate Scandal Finds That Petitions Circulated by Rep. Scott Taylor (R) Staffers Were “rife with errors, inconsistencies, and forgeries”
- Audio: “HearSay” Interview with R. Stuart Cake’s Widow on His Forged Signature for Shaun Brown
- BREAKING: Virginia Beach Democratic Committee Charges “deliberate and concerted effort by Scott Taylor and the VB Republican Party to meddle in the upcoming election”
- Letter to Virginia Board of Elections: “If you do not take action by noon this Friday, August 10, 2018, we intend to seek judicial intervention.”
- RELEASE: Elaine Luria Campaign Responds to Rep. Taylor’s Deceptive Campaign Tactics.
Taylor, by the way, is now running for his old seat, against the Democrat who unseated him in 2018, Rep. Elaine Luria. Of course, Taylor first has to win the Republican nomination, and even they might be smart enough not to pick this scandal-tarnished dude…