See below for the breaking news, courtesy of Chaz Nuttycombe and VA Political Memes, regarding Del. Nick Freitas (R-HD30)’s announcement that he’s running for Congress in VA07. Re: Chaz’s comparison of Freitas to Charlie Kirk, here’s some background on Kirk:
Charlie Kirk (1993–) is an American right-wing grifter, professional meme maker, and diaper enthusiast. He is the founder and spiritual leader of Turning Point USA (TPUSA), which organizes bizarre conservative stunts on college campuses.
TPUSA claim that they’re a “youth organization that promotes the principles of fiscal responsibility, free markets, and limited government,” when in reality, they’re just a right-wing echo chamber for dying boomers and edgy white boys that takes any chance they can get to insult socialists. Most of their Twitter feed consists of calling out socialists for being “hypocrites” (because apparently using an iPhone and buying things to survive instead of living in a cavemen commune invalidates all your anti-capitalist arguments), complaining about leftist propaganda in the curriculum, making antisemitic and/or rape jokes, sharing terrible memes, et cetera and et cetera.
But wait, you ask, isn’t that unfair to Freitas? Let’s just put it this way: if you followed Freitas’ very much non-illustrious career over the years…no, it’s not particularly unfair. For instance, see:
- BREAKING: Hard-Right Del. Nick Freitas Fails to File Properly, Announces He’s Withdrawing His Candidacy;
- Video: Del. Nick Freitas (R-HD30) Screws Up, Fails to Get on Ballot, Blames…”Partisanship,”Two Ralph Northam Appointees in Richmond”;
- Audio: Hard-Right Del. Nick Freitas (R-HD30) Explains Why He Didn’t Make the Ballot, How He Now Thinks He WILL Make the Ballot;
- Video: Did Nick Freitas Threaten Beto O’Rourke? Really?;
- Virginia Del. Nick “Freaky” Freitas (Far-Right Republican) Strikes Again, Compares People from Blue States to “Locusts” Eating Red States’ “Crops”;
- Video: Virginia House Republicans Lash Out Angrily, Incoherently, Fact-Free on Guns; Dem Leader Toscano Calls for Censuring One of Them for Smearing Dems;
- Video/Live Blog: UVA Hosts Virginia GOP U.S. Senate Debate (in which Freitas said Social Security is like a “Ponzi scheme” and claimed that climate scientists “immediately go into a policy discussion” (FALSE!) and that the “private property rights” are the answer to global warming); etc.
Freitas also somehow managed to lose the 2018 GOP primary for U.S. Senate to crazy, neo-Confederate Corey Stewart. And basically, Freitas’ “argument,” in air quotes, is to yell FREEDOM! and LIBERTY! as frequently as possible, and to rant and rave about “SOCIALISM!” yada yada. In short, the guy’s got nothing to offer, intellectually speaking. However, he’s still dangerous, both because he’s an extremist and also because he apparently has access to a far-right billionaire willing to pour money into his campaign. Still, I agree with Chaz Nuttycombe, that if Republicans actually nominate this extremist, it’s highly likely that Rep. Abigail Spanberger (D-VA07) will keep her seat next November.
P.S. Also, see below for the Virginia Uniform Summons to Freitas, after he was “caught with a loaded handgun in his carry-on luggage by TSA agents at Dulles airport who then contacted the police.”
Delegate Nick Freitas (R) of Culpeper is running in the crowded nomination contest for the Republican nomination for #VA07. Freitas is truly the Charlie Kirk of Virginia. Not only that, but if he were nominated, VA-07 would be a Lean to Likely D race. (Current rating is Tilt D) https://t.co/kcX7FzinTI
— Chaz Nuttycombe (@ChazNuttycombe) December 2, 2019
In 2014 Freitas was caught with a loaded handgun in his carry-on luggage by TSA agents at Dulles airport who then contacted the police. #VA07 #VApolitics
If you want the entire report DM me. https://t.co/vhHVD4jWDY pic.twitter.com/lmTwFRjASW
— Virginia Political Memes (@VApoliticalmeme) December 2, 2019