I’m not a big fan of giving right-wing talk radio any publicity, but this is too good to pass up. First of all, if you don’t know who former Del. David Ramadan (R-Loudoun/Prince William) is, let’s just be very clear: he is not a liberal in any way, shape or form. To the contrary; check out his Project Vote Smart ratings, which put Ramadan at a ZERO on a woman’s right to choose, a ZERO and 25% rating on LGBT equality, a 90% lifetime score from the American Conservative Union (the right wingnuts who just finished putting on that crazy CPAC convention), 91% from the even-more-extreme-than-the-NRA Virginia Citizens Defense League, and a near-perfect 94% from the “gay-bashing, abortion-hating, home-school-loving group” Family Foundation of Virginia.
In short, as a member of the Virginia House of Delegates, this guy was hard right, pretty much all the way. Which makes his comments, which you can listen to below, all the more remarkable. For some background, see Former Virginia GOP Del. David Ramadan on Fairfax GOP’s Election Today of Anti-Semite-Backed Chair: “What a fucking disgrace – the Grand Old Party no more”. Now for a few highlights (bolding added by me for emphasis) from Ramadan’s interview on the John Fredericks Show earlier today.
- Ramadan says, “I believe Trump and Trumpism have been bad for America for multiple reasons, but one of which is it has emboldened these kind of [bigoted] people [like Virginia GOP State Central Committee member Fredy Burgos] and these kinds of activities on local levels…It has emboldened people to…think that it’s okay now to be a white nationalist…It has emboldened people to think it’s okay now to have a religious test on everything. No it is not. It is not ok to be an alt right. It is not ok to be a white nationalist…It is not ok to have a religious test…”
- According to Ramadan, you get people like Fredy Burgos and others “that have said stupid moronic things as well regarding women and regarding minorities and this guy wants to put a religious test and he attacks the former Chairman of the Fairfax County Republicans because he is Jewish and he believes that only a Christian should be in leadership.” Ramadan adds: “Well that is contrary to even Christianity, not just contrary to the Constitution. And I call that moronic, I call that stupid, and I call that crazy. And I believe that this event after event after event and taking over of one committee versus another is the end of the party.“
- Ramadan predicts that Republicans will see the same wipeout they saw last November in Virginia this coming November across the country. According to Ramadan, “I can predict that the Congress will – at least the House in the Congress – will go to the Democrats and we’ll be lucky to keep the Senate.”
- Ramadan says that the type of sentiments expressed by “morons applying white supremacy and religious tests on people” are “unAmerican” and “unacceptable.”
- According to former Trump Virginia co-chair John Fredericks, “if they don’t kick Fredy Burgos out, I don’t think there is a Republican Party of Virginia, I don’t think it exists…”
- As for the new Chair of the Fairfax County GOP Tim Hannigan and the Virginia GOP, Del. Ramadan says that “tolerating anti-Semitism is equal to being an anti-Semite; tolerating white supremacy is equal to be a white supremacist yourself…whether you’re tolerating it for political reasons or because you want to please part of the base, well that’s even worse, because that means you’re a coward.”